This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Suggestion 1 Password for iPad, Auto-Lock

Swami
Swami Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
Would you please put the feature that is in the 1 Password for mac in the 1 Password for the iPad.

I have set the Mac-1 Password pref so I do not have to type my master password every time I open 1 Password. When I am at home I don’t need high security.

Thanks, love 1Password,

Swami

Comments

• RobYoder
    RobYoder Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Swami']Would you please put the feature that is in the 1 Password for mac in the 1 Password for the iPad.

I have set the Mac-1 Password pref so I do not have to type my master password every time I open 1 Password. When I am at home I don’t need high security.

Thanks, love 1Password,

Swami[/QUOTE]

That would keep your data from ever being locked. What about if you take your iPad away from your house or if it gets stolen? All your confidential information would be wide open. I don't think we could justifiably add this to 1Password for iPad.
  • Swami
    Swami Member
    edited December 1969
    What about the fact that on the Mac I don't have to type the master password every time?
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Swami, on the Mac we have the 1Password Agent. It's a background process that can keep track of 1Password's locked/unlocked state. It enables 1Password to keep track of the activity timeout and things like that. None of this is possible with iPhone OS because we cannot run 1Password in the background. This means that when the application is quit, it has to be locked.

I hope that helps explain the difference.
  • Swami
    Swami Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for your reply, I do understand, but I am just putting in a request.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Swami']Thanks for your reply, I do understand, but I am just putting in a request.[/QUOTE]

We can appreciate what you're asking for, but we also want to be honest that the likelihood of this happening is extremely remote and it's not in our control. We'll keep it in mind though if Apple should change the rules.
  • wwarby
    wwarby Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    Couldn't you do something around saving state, such that you know how long the keychain has been unlocked for even between runs? I admit I'm not a security expert and the last thing I would want is my agile keychain compromised in the event of theft, but I have to agree with the original poster that this is the most annoying shortcoming of an otherwise wonderful app. The problem is that you have to close 1password to do absolutely anything else. I've just got an iPad and am setting up accounts in various games and apps installed, and have to type the master password between each one. Does the multi tasking in os 4.0 help with the situation at all?
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='wwarby']Couldn't you do something around saving state, such that you know how long the keychain has been unlocked for even between runs? [/quote]

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, can you elaborate? 1Password's auto-lock settings are for the specified amount of time, plus an unwritten "or on exit," meaning that if you quit 1Password it automatically locks. If I understand you correctly, what you're saying is to get rid of auto-lock on exit bit and only stick with the timer. If that is indeed what you're suggesting, I don't think it's possible right now.

[quote]Does the multi tasking in os 4.0 help with the situation at all?[/QUOTE]

It's possible, but we don't know enough yet to answer that.
  • wwarby
    wwarby Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi justG. What I'm saying is basically this: if I unlock 1Password on my iPad, exit back to the home screen to use another app, then return from to 1Password within say, 5 minutes of unlocking it the first time, I don't want to have to unlock it a second time, even though I closed 1Password and re-opened it.

The use case is bascially this: I just got a new iPad and I had to put passwords into about 20 different apps - Google news reader, Facebook, Crystal account for games, Instapaper and so on. Each required a visit to 1Password to get the password, closing 1Password for a few seconds to use the password I copied and returning for the next one, but I had to type my long and cumbersome master password between each one. Another use use case is when you want to copy both a username and password, or worse, a whole bunch of credit card details one by one into an app or safari. Since you can only copy one thing at a time, you have to keep typing the master password every time you come back.

I don't know how or even if it's technically possible to do so, but I want my keychain only to lock after the specified time period, not the specified time period *OR* closing 1Password. This would make it a far more useful app for me. The alternative is to use a much weaker (but easier to type) master password which I am loathed to do.
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the clarification! I'm glad that I understood you correctly. =) I don't know if this is possible, but thanks for the suggestion. I agree that it would be handy.
  • RobYoder
    RobYoder Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    I wonder (and this is all just speculation since I'm not a developer) if we could do something like that as follows. I know that we cannot currently do anything in the background with OS 3, so actually keeping track of time outside the app is impossible. However, if 1Password used the clock and stored its value on exit, 1Password could decide when it reopened whether or not it should ask for the master password, based on the current time minus the stored time. Does that sound plausible?

A potential problem I can see is that the database will be unlocked until the next time 1Password is launched, but is that a problem? Can someone read the 1Password database on the iPad without launching it if it were unlocked? The other thing is that most users would want 1Password to be locked if the iPad had been locked. As in, close 1Password and immediately lock the iPad screen. Someone else comes by a minute later and unlocks the screen and can still get into 1Password. I don't know if 1Password can tell that the screen was locked in between the last time it was opened and the current time.

Thoughts?