This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Password problems

fakeflake
fakeflake Junior Member
Hi,

I have a replacement Macbook Pro. All my data on my old Power book was lost when I dropped it. I have backups of most data but Knox logins was not one of them. I have a memory stick that was locked on my old machine. Is it possible to open this on my new machine running OS 10.7.1 Lion. I have downloaded and installed Knox on my new laptop but I have tried using my old password to no effect. Hoping all is not lost. Regards Phil

Comments

• MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    edited September 2011
    Hi fakeflake, welcome to the forums!

Without knowing the password, there is no way to unlock the vault or reset the password for it. You can use the memory stick on the Lion machine but it'll require the password to unlock it.

What kind of backup tool did you use to backup the data? You might be able to retrieve the data from your OS X keychain, which is saved in the file called "login.keychain" in the keychains folder which is located:

[code] Macintosh HD > Users > (user account) > Library > Keychains[/code]

If you open this up in your Keychain Access.app located in your Applications > Utilities folder, it should let you view the keychain, you can then search for your vault name and see if it is on the list. Please note this will only work if you asked Knox to remember the password for you. If you find it on the list, double click on it and then check "Show Password", it'll ask you for the old Mac's OS X password.