This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Incorrect Password

I have 1Password installed on my laptop and iPhone...both work perfectly.

But on my home PC, when I go to a site that requires a login, and I click on the Key upper right, and then enter my 1Password master password, it tells me "incorrect pasword".

I am able to open the 1Password app via the icon on my desktop.

Reccomendations??

Thanks,

Sean

Comments

• Welcome to the forum, Sean!

When you launch 1Password on your PC:

[list]

[*]Do you use the same master password to unlock it as you use when you unlock 1Password on your laptop?

[*]Do you see exactly the same Logins and other saved items as you see in 1Password on your laptop?

[*]Do you see exactly the same Logins and other saved items as you see in 1Password on your iPhone?

[/list]

Also:

[list]

[*]Are you sync'ing 1Password on your PC, laptop, and iPhone using Dropbox?

[*]In which version of which supported browser are you seeing this?

[*]Do you see the same problem in the other supported browsers?

[*]Have you tried disabling, uninstalling, and re-enabling the 1Password extension for the browser or browsers in question?

[*]Have you tried rebooting your PC? (That's not a cop-out. I'm wondering about "silent caps-lock syndrome.")

[/list]

We'll do everything we can to figure it out and get things working for you.
  • swampgas
    swampgas Junior Member
    I love 1Password, and have been using it for a couple of years now flawlessly on both PC & MAC, but now I am having a similar problem.

1Password works for the MAC, but when I login on the PC (browser extension or actual 1Password software) I get a message telling me that the password is incorrect.

Then I am asked to located the data file or create a new one. I located the Dropbox folder and am told it is not a data file and that changing my password on the MAC version may help.

I changed the master password on the MAC and am now have trouble on both systems.

Now the extension for Chrome on the MAC opens to my old password, but the 1Password software opens to the new password.

I've rebooted. The problem has persisted for several days. The last couple of upgrades seem to be getting increasingly quirky and I'm running out of patience.

I purchased both the MAC version and a PC version.

I keep the data file on Dropbox and share it between MAC & PC.

I use the most up to date version of Chrome on both systems.

I've tried using Safari on both the PC & MAC to see if that helps.

I'm looking forward to a fix.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    edited September 2011
    Welcome to the forum, swampgas!

I can tell you're frustrated, so I'll try to address each of your points.

If 1Password on your PC doesn't accept the master password you use in 1Password on your Mac, it [i]might[/i] be because you've got the CapsLock key on, but it's [i]probably[/i] because you're not using the same [i].agilekeychain[/i] file/folder as on your Mac.

If your 1Password data folder on your Mac is here:

[indent=1]

Users > [i]your-name[/i] > Dropbox > 1Password.agilekeychain

[/indent]

...then on your PC it's almost certainly in one of these two places (depending on which version of Windows you're running):

[indent=1]

C:Documents and Settings[i]your-name[/i]My DocumentsMy Dropbox1Password.agilekeychain

C:Users[i]your-name[/i]DocumentsMy Dropbox1Password.agilekeychain

[/indent]

[b]Important:[/b] Be sure to select the [i].agilekeychain[/i] folder (not the Dropbox folder) on your PC when you're telling 1Password what data folder to use.

As far as I know, it's simply not possible for a 1Password browser extension (on either the Mac or the PC) to open a different 1Password data file/folder than the one that the main 1Password program on that machine is configured to use. Given that, the same master password [i]must[/i] unlock your 1Password data, whether you open it from the main program or from any of the browser extensions.

(By the way, testing with Safari on your PC won't do any good, as 1Password for Windows doesn't include an extension for Safari.)

At this point, I hope you won't mind my asking that you do this:

[list=1]

[*]Launch 1Password for Mac, and note the exact full path shown in the Data File field on the General tab of 1Password preferences.

[*]Launch 1Password for Windows, and note the exact full path shown in the 1Password Data field on the General tab of 1Password preferences.

[*]Post the paths in a response, here in this forum thread.

[/list]

That should get us started.

(You might also make sure you're using Chrome 14.x, rather than a Beta or Dev build.)

Thanks for your patience, swampgas!