This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Knox revert to Trial License

Michael Tennes
Michael Tennes Junior Member
Knox {v 2.1.8 (148)} reverts to a trial version upon startup every time. It appears to accept the license information see images, but it doesn't keep it. Please help.

MacPro running Lion (10.7.1)[attachment=1404:KnoxLicense.jpg][attachment=1405:KnoxTrial.jpg]

Comments

• alanshutko
    alanshutko Junior Member
    With the crashes I've been seeing (see related thread), I experience the same thing.
  • Michael Tennes
    [quote name='alanshutko' timestamp='1317311007' post='51757']

With the crashes I've been seeing (see related thread), I experience the same thing.

[/quote]

What related thread?
  • thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    Michael I think this was the related thread

http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/9120-knox-keeps-crashing
  • thightower
    Michael,

Just to verify are you trying to enter a Knox v2 License key from Agile and not the original Developer from a few years ago ?
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Please try moving Knox's preference file to the desktop:

[CODE]~/Library/Preferences/com.knoxformac.knox.plist[/CODE]
  • Michael Tennes
    edited October 2011
    [quote name='thightower' timestamp='1317846598' post='52237']

Michael,

Just to verify are you trying to enter a Knox v2 License key from Agile and not the original Developer from a few years ago ?

[/quote]

I don't know heres what I enter: KNOX2-XXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXPC3

[quote name='khad' timestamp='1317877240' post='52279']

Please try moving Knox's preference file to the desktop:

[CODE]~/Library/Preferences/com.knoxformac.knox.plist[/CODE]

[/quote]

I did, restarted Knox and still I cannot license it. I mean it will accept the license and show it (see above image), but upon re-launch the license reverts back to a trial license.
  • thightower
    [quote name='Michael Tennes' timestamp='1317905489' post='52335'] I enter: KNOX2-XXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXPC3

[/quote]

Yep thats a V2 license so that portion is covered the "2" after "KNOX" denotes a version 2 license
  • Michael Tennes
    [quote name='thightower' timestamp='1317909040' post='52336']

Yep thats a V2 license so that portion is covered the "2" after "KNOX" denotes a version 2 license

[/quote]

That's what I thought. I need a solution to this or will have to abandon Knox altogether.
  • thightower
    In the past the plist file deletion and or movement to the desktop has worked but if you are up for an experiment.

When I was beta teasing an add on for Dropbox (MacDropUpdate2) We had an issue where the lock file was the issue.

Each plist has a lock file to prevent inadvertent changes to the plist while files are open etc by the app. In our case I would set preferences and they would revert. I deleted the lock file and allowed the preferences to recreate.

Its a long shot but there is nothing harmed in trying it.

Make sure Knox is closed when trying this

So please do what khad suggested move this file to the desktop

[color=#666600]~[/color][color=#008800]/Library/[/color][color=#660066]Preferences[/color][color=#666600]/[/color][color=#000000]com[/color][color=#666600].[/color][color=#000000]knoxformac[/color][color=#666600].[/color][color=#000000]knox[/color][color=#666600].[/color][color=#000000]plist[/color]

also move this file to the desktop

[color=#666600]~[/color][color=#008800]/Library/[/color][color=#660066]Preferences[/color][color=#666600]/[/color][color=#000000]com[/color][color=#666600].[/color][color=#000000]knoxformac[/color][color=#666600].[/color][color=#000000]knox[/color][color=#666600].[/color][color=#000000]plist.lockfile[/color]

Restart Know and enter the registration info one more time, It should stick, It did in every occasion when beta testing MacDropUpdate2

Please let me know the results.

Ordinarily I wouldn't suggest deleting the lock file If I hadn't seen it give issues myself.
  • Michael Tennes
    edited October 2011
    [quote name='thightower' timestamp='1317934978' post='52375']

Please let me know the results.

Ordinarily I wouldn't suggest deleting the lock file If I hadn't seen it give issues myself.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, this didn't work. But in viewing the preference files, Knox creates a new preferences file (com.knoxformac.knox.plist) every time it is launched, thus wiping out all license info...
  • thightower
    Ah well looks like you have found a bug, I will point this thread to the developers / admins.

Also have you tried a new download, as I am running 10.7.2 and not seeing any issues nor did I with 10.7.1 other than some minor hangs which was a change in Lion.

Other than that I am out of ideas.

Thanks for trying though. Look for some follow up from the other team members.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    A few things about your screen shots (thanks for those, by the way!) and your description just don't add up. I was unable to reproduce this problem in my Lion system, and I even used your Knox registration information without any trouble. Upon every launch, Knox remembered the license and my vault information.

Please download a fresh copy of Knox for Mac from [url="https://agilebits.com/downloads/Knox"]this link[/url]. Replace your current copy of Knox with the newly downloaded one, and before launching it, please once again move your Knox preferences file (and any matching lock file) to your Desktop. Then launch Knox, add your software license, and quit Knox. Launch again and see if your license is still in place.

We'll get to the bottom of it!
  • Michael Tennes
    [quote name='MartyS' timestamp='1318023635' post='52435']

A few things about your screen shots (thanks for those, by the way!) and your description just don't add up. [/quote]

Well, I don't know what to say. [b]See if this adds up.[/b]

[img]http://tennes.com/KnoxBug.gif[/img]
  • Michael Tennes
    BTW: I posted this as a support issue.

[url="http://support.agilebits.com/discussions/questions/263-knox-licensing-lost-upon-re-launch"]http://support.agilebits.com/discussions/questions/263-knox-licensing-lost-upon-re-launch[/url]
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited October 2011
    Thanks, Michael! I see (our) Mike has already been assisting you a bit. We'll continue to work with you on our support site until this is completely resolved.
  • MikeT
    MikeT Agile Samurai
    Thank you for reporting this issue, we have fixed this issue in the 2.1.11 update that we released a few hours ago.