This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

How safe is the browser extension/addon?

random859
edited October 2011 in Windows
I've just downloaded the 30 day trial and was wondering how safe the extension/addon is for Chrome and Firefox. How is it safer to save/use passwords with the extension/addon than to let the browser automatically save the info? Is it encrypted differently? I'm a noob when it comes to security.

Comments

• Welcome to the forum, random859!

There's an awful lot of discussion of security issues on our web site, in our blog posts, and in the user's guides for 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows.

I don't know much about what encryption is done by the browsers to protect your private data, but here's a relevant snippet from [url=http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/security.html][i]How secure is 1Password?[/i][/url] in the [i]FAQ[/i] section of the 1Password for Windows user's guide:

[indent=1]

[b]True browser integration increases security[/b]

When wondering about how secure 1Password is, you are likely to evaluate the competition—always a good idea!—so it’s important to note that that encryption is not the only thing that makes 1Password secure.

1Password offers what no other program does: a great management tool on your desktop and true browser integration. Many programs provide safe storage areas for your data, which is great, but what happens when you want to actually [i]use[/i] that data where you need it most, in your web browser? Some programs require you to manually add your data to them and then manually copy the data to your browser. This isn’t just inconvenient—as soon as “copy and paste” are introduced, you’re vulnerable to key loggers and phishing attacks. Other programs limit data management to what’s available within the web browsers. 1Password gives you both full browser integration and a powerful and easy-to-use program for managing your data.

1Password works for [i]you[/i]. You can save Login items automatically, fill login forms, and even generate strong passwords, all from within the browser, which means you are protected from key loggers and other malware, as well as from phishing scams.

[/indent]

I hope that helps a bit. I recommend checking our web site and blog for a lot more information.