This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Clunky 1Password design & performance

Good lord, this software is no longer on my list of recommended ones. I agree with the posts I'm seeing lately here: It's ridiculous. Even after I signed in HERE, of all places, and come down to reply, I suddenly get the every-once-in-a-while-when-it-feels-like-it bar asking me if I'd like to SAVE this password in 1password. Really? Down here in the text box? Blocking my ability to type? Come on, Agile, you're screwing the pooch here.

This product used to be on my must-have for people whose macs I set up (and I set up a LOT). I've now stopped installing it because it has become a buggy resource and disk hog and comes with these horrendously-designed extensions that come with unintelligible icons and weird behavior.

Here's an example: Udemy.com. I have an account set up in 1password. I go to the page to log in, in Safari 5.1, Mac 10.x (latest) and the buggy little popup appears. I click to log in, and typical to many many many many sites (like some, but not all, Facebook accounts), it only enters the user name.

Interesting. So I click on the clunky little arrow to look at the panel, and indeed there apparently has been a password set up because the filed is populated with the little bullets. So I click to copy. "COPIED!" it enthusiastically tells me. I close clunky poorly designed box with unintelligible (and non-helper identified labels) icons and go back to Udemy.com.

I click paste. NOTHING! nope. Let's try it again. Back to clunky 1password extension. COPIED! It tells me. Go back, paste in. NOTHING. Again.

So, hmm, well I will launch the (slow memory hogging) app. After being forced to enter the password again for app even though I just entered it in the clunky extension window (again, clunky process), I search for Udemy. Hey, there it is.

But, there is no password in the login box. Odd. Now why would someone bother to create a login but not a password? I have an answer: I didn't, the software just decided not to, as in many of these logins, to record it.

So now I have to go back to Udemy and go through the password reset. I do. I go through the hassle of that, then go back to udemy.com and it asks me to set a password. So, like I always do (and always USED to find this the best way to set passwords because I used to have CONFIDENCE that 1password would reliably SAVE the password for me), I use the clunky UI extension to set the password. As usual, i have to GUESS which poorly designed and un-labeled icon is the proper one, but I get it to create a password for me.

Bingo.

Or so I thought.

After I set it, I go back to the 1password app to see what the last password is I set because Udemy is now asking me to login again. So I go back to the app, do a search for Udemy, and after the wheel spins (on my 8GB RAM 2 month old MB Pro), it finds it (could it be that over a gigabyte of hard drive space is used for 1password app support--because, you know, storing characters needs over a GB of space?)

Well, guess what: IT'S NOT THERE. NO PASSWORD. AGAIN.

So now, I get to go BACK to udemy, and reset my password all over again. This time I'll just get the pen and pencil out and write it down, and then put it in the once-reliable 1password app myself. Hopefully it will stick. Hopefully the clunky UI will remember it. Hopefully the clunky UI next time will actually PASTE the password in so I don't have to launch the app like I do for Facebook accounts and many others because the clunky UI will NOT FILL THE PASSWORD FIELD.

I can't even fathom why one Facebook account populates properly and the other one doesnt. But it likely has to do with an inability to move the fields and their priority around in the 1pw application.

If you don't care for the snark and sarcasm, I'm sorry. This has put me over the edge after just patiently waiting for MONTHS for some fixes, and after bringing customer after customer to your software. But it's better than the alternative I'd been considering which is to start really publicizing my horrendous experience with an app that was once marvelous and now is a memory and disk hog and comes with poorly designed helper boxes that don't work, have different behaviors across different browsers ,sites, and computers.

How about instead of saying "we can't duplicate this error" and blaming every webkit that the team acknowledge this software is in need of a huge overhaul before it gets left in the dust by other apps, or (maybe) a strong PW storage option from Apple?

W. T. F.

Comments

• duke22
    duke22 Junior Member
    can only second this
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited October 2011
    Hey summitdave,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! I'll try to address each of your issues individually.

[quote]I … get the … bar asking me if I'd like to save this password in 1password. … Down here in the text box? Blocking my ability to type?[/quote]

This doesn't sound like my experience at all. Can you tell me what browser you are using, its version, and the version the of the 1Password extension you are using? We have made some great improvements lately, and I just want to make sure you are all up to date.

[quote]I've now stopped installing it because it has become a buggy resource and disk hog[/quote]

We can't seem to reproduce anything like this in the labs. Do you have a process sample? A screenshot of Activity Monitor would even be a good start. My data file is taking up the same amount of space as it always has, and memory usage has actually gone down overall in my experience. If you are not seeing this, we really need to get something fixed on your machine.

[i]Note: there was an issue with the Firefox extension months ago where we ran into [url="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=687777"]a memory leak that Mozilla needs to fix in Firefox[/url]. We have since updated the extension to work around this, so if you are up to date this should not be an issue. I only mention it for the sake of completeness.[/i]

[quote]…unintelligible icons and weird behavior.[/quote]

Is there any icon in particular for which you are unsure of its function? We provide a [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/3_minute_expert_new.html"]Getting Started[/url] guide which outlines most of the functionality of the new extension, but I know it is quite a switch from the old way of doing things. I'd love to know how we can improve here if you don't mind sharing more details of your experience.

[quote]Udemy.com … only enters the user name.[/quote]

I don't have an account there, but saving and filling a sample Login — both username and password — worked well in my testing. Please try saving a Login manually like this:

1. Enter your username and password, but DO NOT submit the form.

2. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.

3. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).

4. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

[quote]could it be that over a gigabyte of hard drive space is used for 1password app support…[/quote]

Which folder, specifically, is using that much space on your drive? We may need to get a Diagnostics Report from you for some of these unusual issues, but let's see if we can't get things sorted out before we do that.

I only wish we had a chance to get things sorted out for you sooner before it got to this point, but I am glad you are here now. We'll get this sorted out. I promise.