This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Red circle 1Password icon in Safari?

Whats the red icon with a number in it in Safari at the 1Password icon?

Comments

• Same here. Yet another 'what in the heck have they done now?' 1P question.

I really miss this being a simple application.
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    The badge indicates that the extension is having a problem.

If you click on the toolbar button, you will see a troubleshooting section with instructions on how to resolve this.

[img]https://img.skitch.com/20111018-rgsfygehbyn75yiuqnsxwhx3g.png[/img]
  • RonWass
    edited October 2011
    No suggestions from the troubleshooting page worked so I uninstalled the extension and then reinstalled. Problem gone. Perhaps you want to add that to your troubleshooting suggestions.

Thanks!
  • shinratdr
    edited October 2011
    That's the icon you're lucky to see, indicating that the connection between the extension and the 1Password Helper has broken as it does very, very often since 1Password Helper was implemented. I haven't had a single day where I haven't had to kill it off and restart it.

That seems pretty annoying, until you have my issue where the connection randomly breaks and it DOESN'T throw up that notification, yet it will act like it is working. So you're going about saving and editing logins, and it turns out NONE of those changes were saved! Really great to save a login to 1Password, forget about it, return to that site later and it turns out 1Password has no memory of it either. So aggravating.
  • Spoke to soon. It came back. Reset folder permissions....gone again. Let's see if that works.

Can't you guys kill the helper connection. It's really no help whatsoever.
  • Here it keeps coming back!

Agile please fix it and update the MAS version because this is taking way to long!
  • khad
    1Password on the Mac manages the data exchange between itself and the browser extensions through “WebSockets”. This allows for 1PasswordAgent (1Password version 3.8 and below) or 1PasswordHelper (in 1Password version 3.9 and above) to communicate with each other while still respecting the sandboxing rules enforced by web browsers. Although these appear as network connections they are limited to your local machine. They neither accept nor provide information to any process not on the machine. These localhost connections are also encrypted and authenticated. The ports used for these localhost connections are 6258, 10191, 14821, 24861, 25007, 38151, 46360, 49801, 55730, 59483.

[b]If you are running a proxy or software firewall, you will need to ensure that connections to 127.0.0.1 (localhost) are not being blocked or redirected.[/b]

Please be sure you are up to date with both 1Password and the browser extension.

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? To generate the report from 1Password on your Mac, open 1Password and select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report. Then attach the entire file to an email to support@agilebits.com.

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

[color="#FF0000"]Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.[/color]

Note: If you are using the MAS version, you'll need to download the standalone [url="http://cdn.agilebits.com/dist/1P/mac/util/1Password%20Troubleshooting.zip%20"]1Password Troubleshooting[/url] application in order to generate the report.
  • Im using LittleSnitch, this always worked..... When i start 1Password App the red icon disappear but after a reboot the red icon is there again when started Safari.
  • khad
    Hey Samplex, I don't think Little Snitch is the problem in your case. We have changed the way 1Password communicates with the browser extensions, so past results are not relevant to the present situation. However, I have only seen a few cases where Little Snitch was causing trouble, and I believe it was because some of the important defaults had been changed. Since the agent is able to connect when you run 1Password, that points to a problem with the agent launching when you log into your account rather than any trouble with Little Snitch.

It sounds like your 1Password installation is damaged, which is keeping the agent from starting. This is affecting browser integration. To resolve this:

1. Download 1Password from our web site:

http://agilebits.com/downloads

Click on the "Download Now" button under "1Password 3"

2. Quit your web browser and 1Password, if it's running

3. Drag the newly downloaded version of 1Password to the same location as any previous one -- replacing it

4. Run 1Password at least once and then your web browser

Your information is stored in a data file separate from the application, so it will not be harmed by this procedure.

If you are still having trouble, please email us a Diagnostics Report as I requested in my post above. I was not able to locate from you in our inbox (based on the email address you used to sign up for these forums).

Thanks in advance!