This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Knox Backup Issues

timstringer
timstringer Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Knox
I currently have three vaults. A large one is backing up to an external hard drive and two smaller ones (< 1 GB) that backup to a folder within Dropbox. One of the smaller ones appears to be backing up as expected, however the second called "Personal" gets stuck in the backup process. The message "Making a backup of vault Personal" appears in the Knox menu for hours and the only way I can get access to this volume is to quit Knox.

I checked the Console message and see a string of this message:

2010.07.08 6:11:06 AM Knox[250] -[NSFileManager pathFromAliasRecordData:] ERROR! FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags returned error -5000

Any idea what might be going on?

On a side note, it would be nice if there were an incremental backup option. My large vault is about 30GB in size and, as far as I can tell, the entire image is copied even if I make a minor change to the image.

Cheers,

Tim

Comments

• dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums Tim!

[quote name='timstringer']One of the smaller ones appears to be backing up as expected, however the second called "Personal" gets stuck in the backup process. The message "Making a backup of vault Personal" appears in the Knox menu for hours and the only way I can get access to this volume is to quit Knox.[/quote]

Are they both backing up to the same folder on Dropbox? Please double check the Knox Preferences > Backups window and verify the Backup location is set properly for the failing vault.

[quote name='timstringer']I checked the Console message and see a string of this message:

2010.07.08 6:11:06 AM Knox[250] -[NSFileManager pathFromAliasRecordData:] ERROR! FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags returned error -5000 [/quote]

Error code -5000 is access denied so I'm thinking the backup location is not set correctly.

[quote name='timstringer']

On a side note, it would be nice if there were an incremental backup option. My large vault is about 30GB in size and, as far as I can tell, the entire image is copied even if I make a minor change to the image.[/QUOTE]

Incremental backups would be nice. Dropbox achieves something similar where it will only sync the portions of the files that changed. Perhaps we could do something similar with the bands in the sparse image.