This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Dropbox location

mrtoner
mrtoner Senior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
[quote]Users can now keep their 1Password.agilekeychain in any folder on Dropbox instead of the default Dropbox/1PasswordSync folder. More details on how to use this are coming in the next update.[/quote]

What's this all about? I've never put my keychain in a 1PasswordSync folder.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited December 1969
    Its the future of iOS syncing coming to the light of day, the special folder is created for 1P to access your dropbox keychain. There was a beta that was pulled due to changes DB made to the API a few weeks ago where this folder was created for some of us. If you want to use the API to sync your keychain then this folder will be automatically created for you when you enable the feature. Its not necessary to move your keychain now you can keep it anywhere you want it, this makes it easier for people who share a keychain via a shared folder etc.
  • mrtoner
    mrtoner Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I've been using Dropbox to sync 1P ever since the Agile keychain debuted. And I've never used a 1PasswordSync folder. So I'm trying to figure out why users "can now can now keep their 1Password.agilekeychain in any folder on Dropbox" when I've been able to do that all along?
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='mrtoner']I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I've been using Dropbox to sync 1P ever since the Agile keychain debuted. And I've never used a 1PasswordSync folder. So I'm trying to figure out why users "can now can now keep their 1Password.agilekeychain in any folder on Dropbox" when I've been able to do that all along?[/QUOTE]

In earlier betas, when this feature was first introduced, your data file had to be moved to a specific sandbox created by Dropbox. Sync'ing 1Password for Mac with Dropbox isn't the same as sync'ing Apple's touch devices, which will be using the recently introduced Dropbox API. Thus, even if you were already storing your data file in your Dropbox folder, it had to be moved (or symlinked, in the case of some users) to this special sandbox. As of 3.3b1, that is no longer the case.

I hope that clears things up.
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    Yep I think so,

I do also want to add that the folder will be created by the API no matter what. By that I have the same type of special folder for 1passwordsync, readdledocs, goodreader, airsharing etc, my point it you will see these special folder anyway if your app is using the API and it is marked by a folder icon with a star on it on the DB web interface.

I think by the symlink issue gita is reffering to myself and a few others who shared our keychain with others (my wife in my case who has a separate DB account) via a dropbox shared folder.

ps you will also have a preference file located inside the root of the DB folder, its hidden on the mac, but it shows in the web interface.
  • mrtoner
    mrtoner Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='justG']In earlier betas, when this feature was first introduced, your data file had to be moved to a specific sandbox created by Dropbox. Sync'ing 1Password for Mac with Dropbox isn't the same as sync'ing Apple's touch devices, which will be using the recently introduced Dropbox API. Thus, even if you were already storing your data file in your Dropbox folder, it had to be moved (or symlinked, in the case of some users) to this special sandbox. As of 3.3b1, that is no longer the case.

I hope that clears things up.[/QUOTE]

Not at all. I had to read between the lines after recalling some information from discussions on the Air Sharing HD forum. "Dropbox, the free, web-based file backup service, has rolled out a new API that gives developers a way to access, edit and save any file in a user’s Dropbox account...the first place you’ll likely see the Dropbox API in action is on mobile devices."

I'm guessing Agile is mainly using the Dropbox API for seamless syncing between 1P mobile apps and 1P desktop apps. That would be much easier than the current, somewhat inconvenient, methods of such syncing.
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9 Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='justG']In earlier betas, when this feature was first introduced, your data file had to be moved to a specific sandbox created by Dropbox. Sync'ing 1Password for Mac with Dropbox isn't the same as sync'ing Apple's touch devices, which will be using the recently introduced Dropbox API. Thus, even if you were already storing your data file in your Dropbox folder, it had to be moved (or symlinked, in the case of some users) to this special sandbox. As of 3.3b1, that is no longer the case.

I hope that clears things up.[/QUOTE]

Is the folder 1PasswordSync still needed in Dropbox with 1P newer versions (and betas)

(Isn't the folder what you refer as the sandbox)
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    AFAIK, yes it is still created and it is the sandbox we refer to.
  • mrtoner
    mrtoner Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    Sorry to beat this to death, but I've been on the bleeding edge with 1P betas for some time and have (as I noted) been using Dropbox to sync my Agile keychain since it was introduced and I still do not have a 1PasswordSync folder (although I have a .ws.agile.1Password.settings file). There [b]is[/b] an Air Sharing folder as you describe. So I'm wondering why this "...if you were already storing your data file in your Dropbox folder, it had to be moved (or symlinked, in the case of some users) to this special sandbox" didn't happen? And why the folder doesn't exist?
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    mrtoner give me a few minutes and Ill break my API connection via the dropbox website and then recreate it Ill just see if that folder is created now. That should answer all our questions.
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    Still working on it, my suggestion don't break the API auth having a devil of a time getting it linked again, ugh. Doesnt look like a 1P problem looks like dropbox just doesnt want to remove the old folder. (1P is currently making a backup)

Edit I can't confirm if the auth is or is not complete yet, but the folder is created.
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    If 1P keeps creating its backup at the current rate its backup will not finish for 1 Hr so it will take me a few to get back on this one. (Yes I know for some reason the backup is progressing super slow) This didn't happen on the first authorization so I dunno.

Ok finder was just lying to me about the backup creation, I took the time to start a new thread in the beta forum as for some reason the auth attempt was not successful at least on my part this go round so hmmmmmmmm.

Edit it was successful must have been something to do with how the DB team changed the API. All is well
  • mrtoner
    mrtoner Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    Don't spend too much time on this, Thigh Tower. (I've been wanting to do that for some time. :-) ) Since you mentioned the beta forum, I looked over there and found that there's an option at Help > Tools to enable Dropbox sync. I presume that once that's done, all kinds of magical things will happen -- including the creation of said 1PasswordSync folder.
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    Yep, thats funny VB has been loosing my post every once and a while looks like its back at it again tonight.

Because I put one out asking if you had done that yet. If I could shoot the software I think I would. Usually when it looses my posts I am missing about 8 before it likes me again. Maybe you will see this one. It also balked at the pictures I tried to upload tonight. So maybe its done with this go round but I digress.

Yes that should make the magic start to happen