This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Trouble with Universal Unlock?

I have 3.9.2 and now I don't have to enter my master password at all. the only browser I have open at the moment is rockmelt and there I use RF, 1password is stopped as is safari. I can start safari and still access all my passwords. must be that stopping everything still lets the helper do whatever it wants?

Comments

• khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Hey Charlie,

I split your post from the other thread since it sounds like a completely separate issue.

I'm not sure what RF is. Do you have Universal Unlock enabled?

Please also note that the Helper can run even without an icon in the menu bar.
  • yes, Universal Unlock is enabled. If I set it that way I have no recollection of that event.

It looks like that if I lock 1password then the helper is locked whereas if I quit 1password then the helper does not quit or lock and all browsers and even 1password can be used without entering a master password.

RF is RoboForm and I use it because my default browser is Rockmelt and even though I have tried a multitude of times to get 1Password to work with RockMelt I essentially cannot get it to read my password. I use RockMelt for its RSS feeds which I consider 2nd to none.
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited November 2011
    [quote]It looks like that if I lock 1password then the helper is locked whereas if I quit 1password then the helper does not quit or lock and all browsers and even 1password can be used without entering a master password.[/quote]

This is working as designed. Locking is currently and has always been controlled by the background process. Consider tweaking your security settings or disabling Universal Unlock. At present there is not a way to lock 1Password in the browsers when quitting the main application. See below for details on this, though.

[size=5][b]Universal Unlock[/b][/size]

If "Universal Unlock" is disabled in 1Password's preferences you will always be prompted to enter your master password when opening 1Password. This includes quitting the app and relaunching it.

[img]https://img.skitch.com/20111117-r1at9dpmyr821i8bpneydyse42.png[/img]

Likewise, if "Universal Unlock" is disabled in your browser you will always be prompted to enter your master password when using one of the browser extensions after a fresh launch of your browser(s).

[img]https://img.skitch.com/20111117-r4mnxes19sbgb9xiyf42deecgr.png[/img]

So an easy way to keep prying eyes at bay is to disable Universal Unlock in 1Password and the browser extension(s) and [b]quit 1Password and your browsers when you are done using them[/b]. Your data will be [b]locked[/b].

Otherwise, you are relying on the auto-lock settings to secure your data which will either lock your data after X minutes of inactivity, when your Mac begins to sleep, or when the screen saver is activated whichever of the selected options comes first.

The auto-lock timeout is measured by computer activity and not 1Password activity. In order for 1Password to automatically lock after X minutes, there must be no mouse or keyboard activity for the entire duration.

To speed up the auto-lock process you might consider the following.

1. Set an Active Screen Corner for you screen saver and activate the screen saver when stepping away from your Mac (System Preferences > Mission Control > Hot Corners).

2. Close the lid of your Mac laptop to put your Mac to sleep.

3. Activate the login window when stepping away from your Mac (System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options > "Show fast user switching menu as…")

The above three options will also secure your entire OS X login if you have enabled "Require password … after sleep or screen saver begins" (System Preferences > Security > General).

[size=5][b]RockMelt[/b][/size]

Please see our [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/legacy_versions.html"]Other Versions of 1Password[/url] page and download the 3.6.3 extension for RockMelt support.