This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

"(application) wants to use your password keychain" notification

Patrick A
Patrick A Junior Member
edited July 2010 in Mac
[SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial"]hello

I have had 1Password for 10 months now and since I have installed it, a notification window pops up every now and then to ask me to type the master password to access the program. this happens for "aosnotified", "sync1password" and other programmes.

how do you configure 1password and OSX snow leopard to avoid this inconvenience.

thank you for your answers...[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="7"][attachment=112:capture 2.jpg][/SIZE]

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    Hi Patrick.

Welcome to the forums!

It looks like you are using 1Password version 2 with the old OS X style keychain and possibly syncing that across systems using Mobile Me. If that is the case, then I would very strongly recommend that you switch to the newer format.

To upgrade to the new data format, please follow these steps:

1. Open 1Password 2.

2. Select 1Password > Check for Updates to make sure you are running the latest version.

3. Select 1Password > Preferences from the menu.

4. Select the Keychain tab.

5. Click "Switch to Agile Keychain" button.

6. Create a new Agile Keychain.

You may see many "Always Allow, Deny, or Allow" prompts. Make sure you click Allow or Always Allow for each item.

You can find lots of related information in the User Guide:

[url]http://help.agile.ws/1Password/switch_to_agile_keychain.html[/url]

After the data conversion is completed, please verify that your Logins and other data are in place. Then we recommend that syncing be done through Dropbox, (although using Mobile Me iDisk is a possibility, many users have reported problems there.)

You can find more information about various synchronization solutions in our user guide, but here is a linked to detailed instructions with pictures about how to use Dropbox with the Agile data format.

[url]http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/dropbox_syncing.html[/url]

If I am wrong in my guess about your keychain format as the source of the problem you are seeing could you please send us a Diagnostics Report? This will help us track down the issue more quickly. You can generate the report from 1Password by clicking the Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report... menu item and then sending the report to us at [email]support@agile.ws[/email] using Mail.

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can 'connect the dots'.

I hope that helps.

Thanks!
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Patrick A']hello

I have had 1Password for 10 months now and since I have installed it, a notification window pops up every now and then to ask me to type the master password to access the program. this happens for "aosnotified", "sync1password" and other programmes.

how do you configure 1password and OSX snow leopard to avoid this inconvenience.

thank you for your answers...[/QUOTE]

Hi Patrick,

Once you have switched to the 1Password Agile keychain format with 1Password 3 then the OS X keychain system isn't used by 1Password at all unless you've told us to store your Master Password there (which we don't recommend). And nothing uses the 1Password Agile keychain other than 1Password.

It sounds like OS X thinks that the older '1Password' OS X keychain is your account's default keychain. Run the Keychain Access application (/Applications/Utilities) and in the upper left click on the 'login' keychain and choose the File -> Make Keychain "login" Default menu option.

It's possible that some of your applications may have stored their user and/or password information into the 1Password OS X keychain during the time of this improper setup. You may find yourself needing to retype the information into the applications after this correction if they say that your credentials aren't correct.
  • Patrick A
    Patrick A Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    hello

I thank you for your answer on the forum.

[B]"It sounds like OS X thinks that the older '1Password' OS X keychain is your account's default keychain. Run the Keychain Access application (/Applications/Utilities) and in the upper left click on the 'login' keychain and choose the File -> Make Keychain "login" Default menu option."[/B]

I quite agree, I think there is a conflict between the old and new 1Password. I have accessed as instructed to the application and selected the 1Password file but cannot click on "make Keychain "login" default menu option" because it's grayed out.

would you suggest to uninstall the 1Password old and new and reinstall it with the same certificate. if yes you need to show me how to save all the Password created with the software.

thank you for the answer

Patrick
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    Patrick,

I presume that you are using 1Password version 3. If I am wrong please correct me.

If you are using 1Password version 3 (or even version 2, but with the Agile Keychain Format) then 1Password should not be looking at an OS X 1Password Keychain at all. So I share Marty's idea that maybe something other than 1Password data is stored in your old OS X 1Password Keychain.

The next time you get one of those messages popping up, could you click on the question mark and expand what comes up there? That should tell us which application is looking for what data in the old 1Password OS X keychain.

As Marty said, this is something that will have to be sorted out using Keychain Access (in the Utilities Folder in Applications). But first let's see what is behind that question mark.

Cheers,

-j
  • Patrick A
    Patrick A Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Marty and Jeffrey

I indeed have 1Password version 3 and I am running the new snow Leopard which is up to date. I had the same new message which is:

"FileSyncAgent wants to use your 1Password Keychain". and it's asking for my master Password

when I expand the details it says:

"keychain: 1Password.keychain file

Application: FileSyncAgent

sorry but I can't post a snapshot on the the post

Patrick
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Patrick, please run OS X's Keychain Access utility and search for FileSyncAgent (and anything else that causes this prompt). If you find a result, look in the "Keychain" column. If the listed keychains is "1Password" drag the item to your login keychain. Even though it sounds like your login keychain is now your default, these items were stored in your 1Password keychain when it was somehow set to the default, some time in the past. Once you've moved these misplaced items from the 1Password keychain to your login keychain, you shouldn't see that prompt anymore.
  • Patrick A
    Patrick A Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='justG']Patrick, please run OS X's Keychain Access utility and search for FileSyncAgent (and anything else that causes this prompt). If you find a result, look in the "Keychain" column. If the listed keychains is "1Password" drag the item to your login keychain. Even though it sounds like your login keychain is now your default, these items were stored in your 1Password keychain when it was somehow set to the default, some time in the past. Once you've moved these misplaced items from the 1Password keychain to your login keychain, you shouldn't see that prompt anymore.[/QUOTE]

hello Gita

I manage to run OS X's Keychain Access utility but cannot find the FileSyncAgent application nor any other popups that prompt when the computer is live. on the other hand it says that one of the certificates has not been validated: it's a 1P agent that I copied below. Any links to my problem?

certificate: 1Password Agent 8bca963beab2cb9473f4348c18aad855

it seems that FileSync Agent is my mobile me system that synchronize my laptop and the Cloud. how come this application is not linked to 1P when the Mobile.me application is. (when I open Mobile.me, I stored the Mobile.me username and password into 1P.)

thank you
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Patrick A']I manage to run OS X's Keychain Access utility but cannot find the FileSyncAgent application nor any other popups that prompt when the computer is live.[/quote]

This is very odd.

[quote]…on the other hand it says that one of the certificates has not been validated: it's a 1P agent that I copied below. Any links to my problem?[/quote]

No, this is unrelated. This is in fact not needed anymore and you can delete the certificate if you wish. Following is an explanation of the untrusted certificate, back when we were still using that:

[url]http://help.agile.ws/1Password/agent_root_certificate.html[/url]

[quote]how come this application is not linked to 1P when the Mobile.me application is. (when I open Mobile.me, I stored the Mobile.me username and password into 1P.)

thank you[/QUOTE]

1Password can only communicate with web browsers, not directly with OS X's prompts or other applications. When you got to the MobileMe web site, you are able to log in using a login saved in 1Password. However, when password prompts appear outside the web browser, 1Password is not able to do anything with them. For example, it cannot enter your password in iTunes.

That said, the problem here is still that there information stored in 1Password.keychain that should be stored in your login keychain. Here is what I would suggest, at this point:

1. Open this folder:

Your_Name > Library > Keychains

2. Move 1Password.keychain (or 1Passwd.keychain, or both) out of this folder. You can move them to your Desktop, or to a USB stick, or to some other folder. It doesn't really matter, as long as they are no longer in the Keychains folder.

3. Run Keychain Access and verify that the 1Password/1Passwd keychain is gone. If you see its "ghost," you will see its name in the list of keychains but it will have a dashed, rounded square next to the name instead of the usual icon of a lock. If so, select the keychain and click File > Delete Keychain "1Password", then click the "Delete References" button.

4. The next time you are prompted for your password by FileSync or whatever, enter your password and it should properly be saved in your login keychain.

I hope that helps.
  • Patrick A
    Patrick A Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Gita

this solution seems to work as i have restarted the system and no pup up message appeared.

for the other 1P user who could have the same problem, do not delete the 1Password.keychain from the desktop and after "deleting references", put 1Password.keychain back in the Library > keychain folder

thank you again to all the team

Patrick
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the update, Patrick!