This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Setting up Dropbox

Anony999
Anony999 Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
Hi

Running latest beta of 1pw3

Looked at your how to guide and not sure where the keychain is that i have to change to agiles ?

Anyone got tips on easy setup for 1pw3 to dropbox

Cheers

Dave

Comments

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited December 1969
    Hi Dave

If you have not used 1P before the keychain will already be set up as agile's, so the first question is I guess, are you a previous user of 1P2 or a new 1P3 user ? Secondly the beta, is that the mac beta or the win beta just to be clear.

I am using the steps below assuming you mean the mac beta.

[LIST=1]

[*]If you are a new 1P3 user setup dropbox in the normal way,

[*]most folks like a tidy dropbox (I do) so create a folder in it called 1password.

[*]Then open finder go to ~/library/application support/1password ( ~ is = to the home user folder)

[*]move your data file ( ends in .agilekeychain) to the newly created dropbox folder

[*]important (allow the sync to finish)

[*]Once its finished,

[*]open the dropbox folder on your mac, and open the 1password folder, and then double click on the moved keychain

[*]1P will ask if you want to switch to this keychain click yes

[*]This Mac is done.

[/LIST]

If you have other Macs repeat step 7 on each Mac that you want to share the same keychain.

If you need to move to agiles keychain and you are a previous user of 1P2 then start here, this is for user who have already switched to 1P3 and didnt change to the agilekeychain before hand.

Here is how to fix this problem:

1. Drag your existing copy of 1Password (1P3) application to the Trash.

2. Download and then install 1Password 2 from

[url]https://agilewebsolutions.com/downloads/1Password[/url]

You need this old version of 1Password to migrate your data.

3. Open 1Password 2 and select 1Password > Preferences > Keychain menu.

4. Click on "Switch to Agile Keychain" button and follow the instructions.

5. Click "Create New Keychain"

6. You may see many "Always Allow/Deny/Allow" prompts. Make sure to click Allow or Always Allow for each item.

After that you can download and install 1Password 3:

[url]https://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password[/url]

Make sure to move the old copy of 1Password to Trash before installing the new version.

Once you have finished moving from 1P2 to 1P3 then you can go to the first section about setting up dropbox.
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    Also if I wasn't clear or you need more info feel free to write back I love talking about my two favorite subjects Dropbox and 1Password.
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    Long, long ago I moved the Agile Keychain to the Dropbox, let it update (a green check mark appears on it), made a symbolic link to it, moved that back to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ and all worked properly. After reading your explanation (i.e., that 1P3 would do this for you) I checked that folder again and the symbolic link is no longer there (though the Agent, Backups, Cache, Custom, Extensions, Fill and License folders are).

My question is this: did 1P3 make that change? I certainly don't remember ever doing it.
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    I don't know NovaScotian,

I wasn't aware that 1P would ever move the file on its own under any circumstances. Possibility though : Do you run the betas and possibly enabled the new and up coming feature to sync your iOS device via the dropbox API.

A few betas ago (which was pulled) 1P did copy your data file to a special folder inside dropbox called "1Passwordsync" this is the only thing that I can think of off hand. If thats not the case one of the team will have to possibly help out more because I am simply out of ideas. Sorry about that.

EDIT :

Never mind re read your post must have misread it the first time (thought you said 1P relocated the file on its own) sorry. I cannot say for sure but the part about the betas above is still the only explanation I have about it.

EDIT 2:

Although maybe you had a problem install at one time and 1P offered to "find existing file" and located the real file inside dropbox and not your original symlink. (Best answer I think.)
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks, Tommy. There is another possibility you're too polite to mention -- that I did it myself and promptly forgot that I had.
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    Nah you been around here a long time, I think you would have remembered. Plus you already gave that some serious thought before you posted. (Yes there is that possibility) but as I said you are a frequent flyer here and have a pretty good grasp on things related to 1P. But as we all know stuff happen's, I have done a few and never remembered it myself. I am still very heavily leaning towards my edit 2 above.
  • Anony999
    Anony999 Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Thankyou very much

I should have given more detail !

Yes 1pw3 user, on mac beta

All working now

Regards

Dave
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    Glad you are up and going Dave,

Have fun w/ Dropbox It really changed how and where I keep my files.

ps.. It wasnt that much trouble sort sounded like you thought it may have been. I have most of that saved in textexpander and it took me all of 1 min to write it out. If you havent given it a look try [url]www.smileonmymac.com[/url]
  • Anony999
    Anony999 Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the link

Looks good

I came from a windoze world last november - nothing is now sweeter as i have no more of mr bills garbage at home !!!

Tell me then i have the following

iMac home pc with 1pw3 synched to dropbox

missus iphone synched to imac

my macbookpro synched to dropbox 1pw3

Now what do i do with my iphone to get it to sync ? Can i sync it to dropbox yet ?

Other than that i suppose a syc to my macbook pro ?

cheers

dave
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    No not with dropbox just yet, I am not promising deadlines here because we have to go through a beta phase of the new mobile app, but hopefully in about 4 weeks or so it will also depend on the approval process of apple, and if any major bugs pop up.

I am not privy to any team timelines etc, this is purely my speculation.

Yes I know that statement so true, I banned win from my house. Every once in a while I will have to allow my mother inlaws win machine over. :lol:

For the time being you can also set up your phone to sync to one of the macs, the cool thing about the agilekeychain is once the sync is auth then it can occur on any mac running the same keychain thru 1P.

So if you add you phone you can sync thru her mac or yours.

For the Macbook,

assuming you are wanting to use the same keychain, open dropbox and double click on the keychain from the mac you want to have access to the keychain. 1P will ask if you want to switch to this keychain click yes. this one is done.

Do this for any other macs you want to share the same keychain.
  • OGC
    OGC Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I started out with 1pw3 demo that I later registered, but can´t find the agile keychain. The only thing resembling an agile keychain is the .icns file and some backups?
  • roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='OGC']I started out with 1pw3 demo that I later registered, but can´t find the agile keychain. The only thing resembling an agile keychain is the .icns file and some backups?[/QUOTE]

Please see 1Password > Preferences > General, it will display the location of .agilekeychain file.
  • OGC
    OGC Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='roustem']Please see 1Password > Preferences > General, it will display the location of .agilekeychain file.[/QUOTE]

So you are saying that there should be a file called .agilekeychain in that location? At the moment I keep in it my Dropbox, and this is what I find in that folder. Is that it?
  • OGC
    OGC Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='OGC']So you are saying that there should be a file called .agilekeychain in that location? At the moment I keep in it my Dropbox, and this is what I find in that folder. Is that it?[/QUOTE]

Anyone?
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    OGC I am mobile at the moment having a really hard time seeing the image on the old iPhone. But the pic doesn't resemble a keychain file its blue with a lock slot emblem on it.
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    edited December 1969
    Hello,

I have two questions and wondering if you can help me.

1. I have 1P ver 3.0.2, how to setup a Dropbox ? Do I need to move it to Trash and download a new version ?

I remember week ago or so when I launched 1P, I was asked if I wanted to upgrade my app to the new version, this message doesn't come up anymore.

Could you let me know how upgrade to the new version with Dbx support ?

Notice that I want to keep my keychain from the existing version.

2. Couple users of 1Password for Android complained that when they change password they see their old logins on their phones together with the new ones.

I am confused: on my Mac when I change a password on Login Form , I am asked if I want to create a new login or update a previous one. If I select "Create a New One",

the old login record is kept, the new one is created with the number 1...2.. ect appened to the name.Of course, when keychain is copied on phone's SD card, old passwords are

also copied and shown to the user, but the same behaviour is observed on Mac too. For ex, on my Mac I have 33 Logins, some of them are with an old password, some with a new.

I see the same 33 records on my phone. I guess the system behaves this way.

However, users claim that they don't see old passwords on Mac and see them only on Android phone !

I am wondering how I can be, 1P for Android simply reads a keychain, every file with .1password extension in it is shown to the user,be it old Login, new Login , etc.

Please let me know your suggestions.

Thank you,

Gene

Android Developer
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    Gene

I would wait for a couple more days I think the next stable build is coming out soon. If you want yto run the betas then there is a setting in the 1p pref under updates I believe. I am mobile right now or I would confirm the section for you. The reason I said beta was currently the Dropbox stuff is in the betas and not standard release. If you do want to upgrade now enable the betas in the the 1p pref and check for updates.
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    I will not have any effect on your keychain. Basically you will do the update just as before. Make sure you have enabled check for updates in the 1p pref or you can always do a manual check from the pref or the menubar. As for your other question all I see are new entries but I do have a updated password history for the specific login.

Maybe one of the team can clarify it more for you.
  • OGC
    OGC Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='thightower']OGC I am mobile at the moment having a really hard time seeing the image on the old iPhone. But the pic doesn't resemble a keychain file its blue with a lock slot emblem on it.[/QUOTE]

I am not getting any wiser, but I solved the problem. I did a complete reinstall of 1pw, and started a new keychain. This created a .agilekeychain like you have been talking about =) Why my 1 week old fresh installation did not have this will remain a mystery to the end of time.
  • GeneY
    GeneY AWS Team
    edited December 1969
    Hi Tommy,

Sorry, don't know your email, so need to post on Forum.

I am fine with waiting couple more days, but what I really need is a file which is located in the root directory

of Dropbox.This file contains a location of 1Password Data File inside of Dropbox.

If you have 1P beta installed, can you goto your dropbox, copy this file and mail it to me on [email]android-support@agile.ws[/email]?

Also what is your opinion on my second question about multiple Logins ?

Thank you,

Gene
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    Done on the file. The old battery is going on the iPhone so I had to make it brief. Ill write again once Im back on the old MacBook.
  • roustem
    roustem AgileBits Founder
    edited December 1969
    Macworld has a video about setting up 1Password sync using Dropbox:

[url]http://www.macworld.com/article/146533/2010/02/1password_dropbox.html[/url]