This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

1Password starts with administrator privileges

Is it normal when the windows 1Password application starts to start with administrator privileges every time. Is this required or is there someway to stop that?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the forum, eno812!

To my knowledge, 1Password itself doesn't invoke administrator privileges—it's only the installer that requires them.

(Of course, 1Password probably [i]does[/i] have all the privileges allocated to the Windows user account in which it is launched.)
  • RRRob
    RRRob Junior Member
    Builds of 1Password for Windows after v1.0.9.239BETA now require administrative rights to install [b]any [/b]portion of the program (something not mentioned in the release notes for v1.0.9.242, BTW). If you do not have administrative rights on your machine, the last released build you can install is v1.0.9.235.
  • Note that there is no way to install only portions of 1Password, which is why the installer requires administrator privileges.

Again, 1Password itself should not require administrator privileges to run.
  • Stefan von Dutch
    Stefan von Dutch Community Moderator
    [quote name='RRRob' timestamp='1323103710' post='55010']

Builds of 1Password for Windows after 1.0.9.BETA-239 now require administrative rights to install [b]any [/b]portion of the program

[/quote]

Admin privileges and non-admin privileges cannot coexist in the same process. Either the installer requires admin privileges, or it does not. Without admin privileges, there are at least 4 features or dependencies we cannot install, and that is why our installer requires admin privileges (as most installers out there do).

[quote name='RRRob' timestamp='1323103710' post='55010']

If you do not have administrative rights on your machine, the last released build you can install is 1.0.9.235.

[/quote]

Actually, older versions require admin privileges too (without admin privileges, you're destined to run into errors and problems), but starting with 1.0.9.BETA-239 we actually enforce this more strictly (previously, you were allowed to continue and install without admin privileges, but you would end up with errors and problems).
  • RRRob
    RRRob Junior Member
    [quote name='Stefan von Dutch' timestamp='1323180152' post='55059']

Actually, older versions require admin privileges too (without admin privileges, you're destined to run into errors and problems), but starting with 1.0.9.BETA-239 we actually enforce this more strictly (previously, you were allowed to continue and install without admin privileges, but you would end up with errors and problems).

[/quote]

True, but while this fact is mentioned in the release notes for 1.0.9BETA build 240 in the updater, it is not mentioned in the posted [url="https://agilebits.com/onepassword/win/release_notes#v242"]release notes for 1.0.9 build 242[/url].
  • That's true, RRRob.

I'm not sure what happened there, because our notes for each non-Beta version typically include the changes from all the Beta builds since the previous stable version that remain in the new stable version.

I'll ask Stefan whether the release notes for build 242 can be updated.
  • Stefan von Dutch
    Stefan von Dutch Community Moderator
    edited December 2011
    [quote name='RRRob' timestamp='1323198977' post='55083']

True, but while this fact is mentioned in the release notes for 1.0.9.BETA-240 in the updater, it is not mentioned in the posted [url="https://agilebits.com/onepassword/win/release_notes#v242"]release notes for 1.0.9 build 242[/url].

[/quote]

True, but as I have explained before there is no new behavior. Our installer has always required admin privileges. The only thing that has changed is this: we're actually enforcing this requirement now.

I'll try and update the release notes for 1.0.9.242