This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Upgraded to 3.2.5 and lost all data <Merged Threads>

desertdem
desertdem Junior Member
edited July 2010 in Mac
I'm new to the forums, but not to 1Password. I've been using it for years and have updated it without a problem.

When I opened 1password today, a window opened informing me an update was available. I chose update and relaunch. I was then asked to enter my license information, and I did. When 1Password opened, all of my data was gone.

I tried "restore data file from backup," but when I select the file I get an "Invalid Agile Keychain backup file."

Please help. If I can't restore my logins, licenses etc I am doomed.:sad:

Comments

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the 1password forums,

I wish it was under better circumstances. You should not have been asked for you license information if you were already running 1P3 what version were you running before the update possibly 1P2 maybe. AFAIK this would be the only reason you would be asked to provide a license again.
  • desertdem
    desertdem Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I was running some version of 1Password 3. I first upgraded to it and bought a single user license in Sept 2009; that was the lic info I used on the newest update.
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    I havent left you hanging, its after midnight here I am gonna try and sleep on it and see it anything pops into the old noggin. Maybe one of the others will have a better idea. Sorry I cant think of any other reason off hand.

Where did you have you keychain located in dropbox or the normal default for the file in ~/library/applicationsupport/1password
  • desertdem
    desertdem Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for helping with this.

The keychain was in ~/library/applicationsupport/1password ~
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    OK lets look at this again,

You said that it gives you the invalid backup prompt, just to clarify you opened 1P and selected restore from backup. If you did you should have seen a box and a backup like my pic shows (attached).

The other question is were you still using the OSX keychain or were you using the agilekeychain. (Sorry for asking so many redundant questions trying to dot the I's and so forth.

We can keep on trying to get you sorted out but while we do it will not hurt to generate the diagnostic report and send it on to the support team. This will put you closer in the que and so forth. Generate the report by going to Help in the 1P menu bar>troubleshooting>diagnostic report. Then send it support AT agile DOT ws.

Make sure to include a link to this thread so they can connect the dots.
  • desertdem
    desertdem Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I just emailed a diagnostic report as requested.

You asked if I got "the invalid backup prompt" when I opened 1P and selected restore from backup," and the answer is yes. The box looked like the one you attached but with fewer files to choose from.

Your other question was if I was still using the OSX keychain or the agilekeychain. The answer is, I don't know. In working on this on my own, I have found both items, but the agilekeychain is one that was generated after I updated the program.

I know I should have created backups on a regular basis, but I was complacent because I'd never run into any problems before. My bad. I sure hope I didn't blow it by not making back ups and by trying to troubleshoot this on my own before posting to this forum.

I have/had yrs of data stored in 1Password, and losing that data will, well, suck!
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    they can look and see in the report as to the format, so lets just see what the team says.

Having said that, have you looked at a free service like Mozy, or maybe Crashplan.

Mozy is free up to 2 gb the last I looked and Crashplan is my weapon of choice. I love them what ever your choice make sure and backup the 1Password folder in Application support. Give Crashplan a look I think you will like what you see. Its free from computer to computer such as your mac to imac or the office to the home and so forth.

I am hoping that you data is still inside the osx keychain and it will be relatively easy to retrieve compared to losing it. (From your last post I am leaning towards this)

Also if you move your keychain to someting like Dropbox then you have it there and the backups on your mac. Some folks dont like dropbox idea of out on the web but we have several articles on the subject that may easy your mind.
  • desertdem
    desertdem Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the Crashplan recommendation. I am backing up my macbook pro as I write this. I'll add my imac as well.

I will also plan to move my keychain to dropbox once this is all resolved one way or another. I know I need to back up, and I have a time capsule I've yet to set up--my procrastination just may have gotten the best of me.
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for bringing your thread back up, I know its a long shot but if you want you can alway dropback to v2 and see if your data returns.

Its as simple as dragging the current 1P app from the applications folder to the tash.

Download version 2 [url]http://agilewebsolutions.com/downloads[/url] 1P2 is at the bottom of the page

Install 2

see if data re apperars.

It will not affect any data that we hope is still hiding and if this solves it we can get switched to the agilekeychain and then into 1P3.

The choice is yours if you want to do a little work or wait for a response from the support team.

Your welcome on Crashplan,

ps I also have a time capsule, probably my biggest waste of money. i either use Crashplan or Dropbox to restore, but oh well. I also use Superduper
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    Strange I checked it before I posted the thread and actually grabbed a copy.

Try this link its from my public dropbox folder and if you dont mind let me know when you successfully download it. I don't usually keep things in there. Its perfectly ok to wait till you try it and include that in your reply.

[url]http://db.tt/d3ojab[/url]

You may also want to try the link again as it functioning here. But no matter where you download it from.

Try this one its the latest build of 1P2

[url]http://cdn.agile.ws/aws/dmg/1Password-2.12.1.dmg[/url]
  • desertdem
    desertdem Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='desertdem']I tried to download version 2.0, but I get a 404 error. This is the url it takes me to: [url]http://cdn.agile.ws/aws/dmg/1Password-2.0.0.dmg[/url][/QUOTE]

Got the same 404 error up through each version until version 2.5.0, so that's the version I downloaded. Will that work?
  • thightower
    edited December 1969
    Try 2.12.1 instead

[url]http://cdn.agile.ws/aws/dmg/1Password-2.12.1.dmg[/url]
  • desertdem
    desertdem Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Try this link [url]http://db.tt/d3ojab[/url] from yourpublic dropbox folder worked as did the one from this link [url]http://cdn.agile.ws/aws/dmg/1Password-2.12.1.dmg[/url]

I will let you know the results of installing this older version.
  • desertdem
    desertdem Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I dumped the version of 1Password I had installed in the trash, then installed version 2.12.1. When I opened the program a window asking me to "Created New Encrypted Database" with spaces for a Masterpassword and a hint, or to "Use Existing" by dragging and dropping my "existing .agilekeychain or 1Password.keychain file" in a small window or by clicking the "locate file" button.

The 1Password.keychain file that's available is the one I created last night when I loaded the newest version of 1Password and contains the user name and password I created for this forum. I have an older file, but that one isn't available for me to select and nothing happens when I drag it to the window.

So, no go.
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    Hi, desertdem.

I'm really sorry about these problems. Let me reassure you that 1Password works very hard to make sure that people don't lose their data. It's there some place (along with backups that 1Password automatically makes), but we just need to know where it is and in what format.

Could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? This will help us see what's where and in what format. You can generate the report from 1Password by clicking the Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report... menu item and then sending the report to us at [email]support@agile.ws[/email] using Mail.

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can 'connect the dots'.

I think that once we see the diagnostics report, we'll be able to give you precise instructions that will get things working.

Thanks for your patience with this.

Cheers,

-j
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    I would say at this point just wait on the team to respond.

Based upon there findings you may need to repeat the procedure but this time install 1P3.

Which picture did your working install look like. A or B

Should have done this to begin with sorry it took me so long to think about it. Now I feel stupid for not doing this before (doh)
  • desertdem
    desertdem Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    It looked like version B.
  • thightower
    edited July 2010
    Then you can indeed trash the 1p2 install and reinstall 1p3.

I do want to apologize again, because I really feel so stupid (banghead) for not asking you that before. Can we make a trade and call the Crashplan tidbit even. Sorry a little humor always makes me feel better. I am really sorry I made you go through those extra steps. 100 dollars says I don't forget this one again.

I think its one more post and you will be member anyway. :lol: not junior member any longer ok maybe its 50 thats been so long ago.
  • desertdem
    desertdem Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='jpgoldberg']Hi, desertdem.

I'm really sorry about these problems. Let me reassure you that 1Password works very hard to make sure that people don't lose their data. It's there some place (along with backups that 1Password automatically makes), but we just need to know where it is and in what format.

Could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? This will help us see what's where and in what format. You can generate the report from 1Password by clicking the Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report... menu item and then sending the report to us at [email]support@agile.ws[/email] using Mail.

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can 'connect the dots'.

I think that once we see the diagnostics report, we'll be able to give you precise instructions that will get things working.

Thanks for your patience with this.

Cheers,

-j[/QUOTE]

I sent the report a moment ago.

Thanks for all your help
  • desertdem
    desertdem Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='thightower']Then you can indeed trash the 1p2 install and reinstall 1p3.

I do want to apologize again, because I really feel so stupid (banghead) for not asking you that before. Can we make a trade and call the Crashplan tidbit even. Sorry a little humor always makes me feel better. I am really sorry I made you go through those extra steps. 100 dollars says I don't forget this one again.

I think its one more post and you will be member anyway. :lol: not junior member any longer[/QUOTE]

You have nothing to apologize for. I appreciate the help, and downloading and installing an older version gave me something to do other than chew my nails :-)

I'll try reinstalling 1p3 and see what happens.

Thanks again for the help.
  • desertdem
    desertdem Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I reinstalled 1p3 and still have the same problem. I sent the diagnostic report as requested above, so I will wait to see what the team comes up with.

Again, I appreciate all the help. I've long recommended 1Password, and I will continue to do so despite this experience. The response to a reported problem has been prompt and thoughtful; that alone is worth the license fee.
  • jpgoldberg
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='desertdem']I reinstalled 1p3 and still have the same problem. I sent the diagnostic report as requested above, so I will wait to see what the team comes up with.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much. I've just responded to that. I see from it exactly where things went wrong and have sent step-by-step instructions on getting things right.

[QUOTE]Again, I appreciate all the help. I've long recommended 1Password, and I will continue to do so despite this experience. The response to a reported problem has been prompt and thoughtful; that alone is worth the license fee.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much. It's easy to provide good customer service when we have such great customers!

Cheers,

-j
  • desertdem
    desertdem Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Unfortunately, the process didn't work. I sent a reply to yyour email last night explaining the pproblem
  • jpgoldberg
    edited December 1969
    Hi, thank you. I've been studying your email and that diagnostics report. There is one thing that seems, well, discouraging about the diagnostics report, and I've been hoping to find a solution.

By default, 1Password makes regular backups of your data and stores those backups in a particular place. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any trace of those backups in your diagnostics report. We know how important this data is to people, so we really try to make sure that it never gets lost. But I've been struggling to figure out how to recover the data in your case.

Did you, at some point, possibly configure 1Password to store backups in a different location? I've been trying to test out various Spotlight searches that may help find where your data files are, but unfortunately they are not in the Folders analyzed by the Diagnostics Report.

I'm sorry, I really should have emailed you earlier, but I've been hoping to have good news to report to you. At the moment, I don't.

I will try to send you some advice on constructing Spotlight searches that may find your data files.

I wish I had better news at this point.
  • desertdem
    desertdem Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks again for your help.

I don't recall configuring 1Password to store backups in a different location. In fact, I was surprised to find very few files in the backup folder--home>Library>Application Support>1Password. I also seem to have very few files visible via KeyChain.

I've been trying to retrace my activities to see if I did anything unusual. One possibility that occurred to me was that when I updated 1Password, a Clean My Mac dialogue box opened and asked if I wanted to "Leave Files" or "Move to Trash." I always choose "Leave Files," butperhaps I selected "Move too Trash." Would that delete backup files?

I checked my iMac (the problem occurred on my MacBook Pro) and the backup folder--home>Library>Application Support>1Password--has a number of filess. The same with using KeyChain. Unfortunately and stupidly, I haven't synced 1Password on the two computers and had many more software licenses and logins stored on my laptop. That is one lesson I will take away from this experience.

I do have about 60 items stored on 1Password on my iMac, so the worse case scenario is that I will have to rebuild from there. Fortunately, I do have copies of many of my software licenses, so I can input those if necessary.

I would certainly like to avoid this problem in the future, so any advice is much appreciated.
  • RobYoder
    RobYoder Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='desertdem']I've been trying to retrace my activities to see if I did anything unusual. One possibility that occurred to me was that when I updated 1Password, a Clean My Mac dialogue box opened and asked if I wanted to "Leave Files" or "Move to Trash." I always choose "Leave Files," butperhaps I selected "Move too Trash." Would that delete backup files?[/QUOTE]

Hi desertdem,

I'm new to the conversation, but I just read the entire thread. That sounds like it could explain everything, depending on how much CleanMyMac erases. It usually takes out preference files and Application Support folders, which would explain why you had to re-enter your license and why your data is missing. If that is the case, the current backups are files that have been created since the trashing of the App. Support folder, since that is where they are stored by default.

Have you emptied your trash recently? Check there for your data file, called 1Password.agilekeychain.

Please let us know what you find.

[quote name='desertdem']I would certainly like to avoid this problem in the future, so any advice is much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

You may want to disable the automatic Application Uninstaller in CleanMyMac's preferences. Some app uninstallers have an option to guard specific apps from deletion, but I don't see that in CMM's preferences.

The best way to protect against this in the future is to keep backups everywhere. I keep my keychain on Dropbox and have one computer that makes regular Time Machine backups, which include the Dropbox folder. I also keep 50 1Password backups available, which are also backed up in Time Machine. I could do better getting some backups outside my house, but I just use Dropbox for that right now.

I hope that helps. Thanks for your patience and support!
  • jpgoldberg
    edited December 1969
    Hi,

I am terribly sorry about the data loss, but I'm pleased that it is not as bad as it otherwise might have been. This is my first encounter with CleanMyMac, but I will keep an eye out for it if I come across similar cases. [Rob, thanks for the description of what it does.]

Let me add to what Rob has said. Using Dropbox will not only provide an extra, off-site, backup, but it will also help you keep your 1Password data synchronized between your iMac and your Macbook Pro. It makes managing the data much easier.

You can find our guide to setting up Dropbox syncing here

[url]http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/dropbox_syncing.html[/url]

Dropbox really makes life easier and provides an extra layer of backups. Still, I concur with Rob, that Time Machine backups are also a very good idea.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Cheers,

-j