This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Internet Explorer is denying access to a <frame>

With the last update, this has started to occur on frequent sites:

Internet Explorer is denying access to a <frame> because it is on some other domain

Comments

• Stefan von Dutch
    Stefan von Dutch Community Moderator
    edited December 2011
    This is an IE-only security measure, preventing this thing called "cross-domain scripting".

Essentially, it comes down to this: when the login <form> is inside some <frame> and this <frame> is hosted on some other domain (other than the current domain), then IE does not allow scripting access to that <frame> (and that's why 1Password cannot touch it).

Whenever this happens, our advice is to use Auto-Type or some other web browser.

This is unrelated to the last update.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    edited December 2011
    JMM_az, welcome to the forum!

As Stefan notes, IE has always reacted in this way.

It happens when you've encountered a web site on which the login page has been coded in such a way that the part of the page containing the login form (typically username, password, and submit button) is enclosed in an HTML <frame> tag, and the contents of that frame are loaded from a location with a different domain than the URL of the login page itself.

1Password needs to perform a little bit of scripting to save and fill forms, but Internet Explorer considers "cross-domain scripting" a potential security risk and refuses to allow 1Password to proceed. All 1Password can do is let you know, which is the purpose of that message.

Firefox and Chrome do not make the same restriction, so (as Stefan says) we can only suggest using one of those browsers for such web sites. The [url="http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/auto-type.html"]auto-type[/url] feature is worth a try, too, as it may work for you even in IE.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
  • I just installed 1password on my computer and it is working fine with firefox but when I try to use IE 9 I am getting the following message, "IE is denying access to a <frame> because it is on some other domain." What does this mean and how do I fix it?
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Welcome to the forums, golfbuddy52. I merged your post with this existing thread. Please see above and let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Since this thread was last active, we have also released an extension for Safari, so that is also an option in addition to Firefox and Chrome.