This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Attachments: Drop attachment here

I drop the attachment, which is usually a screenshot of a website containing supplementary information concerning the particular account or login item.

This screenshot has already been saved as, for instance, a png file. And after I drag it to Attachments: window an icon and label appear designating the attached file.

Then what?

If I click on the attachment hoping to see the image popup get a "save file" dialog box. Does that make sense? Why save an attachment again when it must necessarily have been saved before it could become an attachment in the first place.

So what is the point of "drop attachment here"?

Seems like a nice idea, but it baffles me.

Best regards,

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    edited January 2012
    Welcome to the forum, tooearly!

The point of the Attachments field is to store a file in your encrypted 1Password data. Once you do that, you can delete the unencrypted file from your computer. Then the only copy of the file is safe from anyone who doesn't know (a) to look for the file in 1Password and (b) your master password.

The reason that double-clicking an attachment in 1Password opens a "save as" dialog box is that we want you to decide exactly where in your file system you're creating an unencrypted copy of that file. That way, when you're finished with the unencrypted copy, you can delete it from your file system, knowing that it's still stored in your encrypted 1Password data. (We believe that's much safer than creating an unencrypted copy in some temporary directory that might not get cleared securely before a "bad guy" gains access to the file system.)

[b]Reminder:[/b] When you delete a file from the file system, you also need to securely empty the Recycle Bin to make the file truly inaccessible.
  • Techworks
    edited November 2012
    Well I have to say I dont get it either!

so how do I store an attachment??????

I create an image on my hard drive somewhere.

I drag and drop the image onto box in my secure note.

I delete the original on my file system.

I double click on the icone in the box and it still opens the file open dialog box...where is my encripted image??????

cant find any help on this feature and am absolutly baffled at the "logic" you have implemented
  • OK, now I understand, 1password does not support embedding an image into a secure note and displaying it, but it does support attaching an encripted copy of a file (that might just happen to be an image file), but that attachment must be unencripted and saved to a local hard drive before it can be viewed.

Unfortunately thats not any use to me! I just want to view an image of somthing to save me the time of manually reproducing the key bits by typing! If I have to drill down to a know location on my hard drive, save it, then drill down to that location using some other appliciaotn to view it,,,well I may as well photocopy it and stick it up on my wall!

Suppose you cant have everything!

Thanks

Grant
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    Welcome to the forums, Grant! I'm glad you were able to figure it out. 1Password is a password manager with support for file attachments. It was not designed to be a secure image viewer, but I'll pass your use case along to the developers. Perhaps we can adjust this in the future.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!