This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Version number in "About..." doesn't support copy / paste

fdavis99
fdavis99 Junior Member
I wanted to copy / paste the 1Password version number into a forum question, but I can't select and copy the version number.

This happens in both the app > Help > About.. and in the Chrome plug-in > Settings > About.

Also, why is the app version 1.0.9.259, while the Chrome extension is 3.8.9.38999? Why wouldn't at least the major and minor versions match 1.0 vs. 3.8)?

Thanks,

--Franklin

Comments

• Stefan von Dutch
    Stefan von Dutch Community Moderator
    [quote name='fdavis99' timestamp='1325778633' post='56715']

why is the app version 1.0.9.259, while the Chrome extension is 3.8.9.38999?

[/quote]

Because they are developed, released, and updated independently.
  • As for the "about" boxes, we may be able to choose a different method for displaying the one presented by 1Password in some future version.

As for the extension for Chrome, an alternative is to view the Extensions page in Chrome itself:

[indent=1][img]http://content.screencast.com/users/db_aws/folders/Snagit/media/ffaed166-7a61-431e-873c-38209f975e7f/2012-01-05_12-50-05.png[/img][/indent]

I hope that helps, Franklin. Thanks for the suggestion/request!
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    edited January 2012
    [color=#333333]Once upon a time, the 1Password application included everything: a nice graphical application for doing what you needed with your saved data, and a set of browser “extensions” ready for installation. In those times, all the version numbers always matched.[/color]

[color=#333333]Current versions of 1Password install and update the extensions within the browser. The 1Password application updates no longer need to try and update the browser extensions, and that means you can easily have version number differences that may [i]seem[/i] significant, but are perfectly expected. If we need to update the main application for something, but there are no associated changes needed in the browsers we do not update the browser extension versions – only that of the application. Likewise, if an improvement only involves one or more browser extension we can update the browser without releasing a new version of the application.[/color]

[color=#333333]So what does all this mean, really? Here’s an example of what you might see for version numbers:[/color][list]

[*]1Password for Windows 1.0.9.259

[*]Google Chrome 1Password extension 3.6.3.30953

[*]Safari 1Password extension 3.8.5

[*][s]Firefox 1Password extension 3.8.6.b2[/s]

[/list]
  • Note that the extensions for Internet Explorer and Firefox are still installed as part of the 1Password for Windows installation.

That will change for Firefox, eventually, as we move to the new technology for that extension, too; at that time, the extension for Firefox will become a separate installation, as Khad described above.

(It is not known at this time whether some future version of Internet Explorer will support the new technology.)