This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Suggestion MobileMe Sync

xilus
xilus Junior Member
edited December 1969 in Mac
MobileMe sync please.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, xilus

Webdav sync is on the 1P roadmap, but i'm just not sure how far away in the development process.
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777 AWS Code Wrangler
    edited December 1969
    Tommy is correct. We've been working on WebDAV synching which will work with MobileMe as well. I don't have an ETA to give right now, but it's a fairly high priority for us.
  • xilus
    xilus Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hey, thanks for the information.

It is good to hear that it is in development

Great software!

I seem to not be subscribed to this thread.
  • lee_sf
    lee_sf Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    +1 re wanting MobileMe sync. I just downloaded the 3.0 beta, and got that sinking feeling (no pun intended) in my stomach that there's no way to sync 1PW keychain info between my desktop and laptop machines, without using a 3rd-party app. That greatly reduces the value of 1PW for me, pushing me back to doing everything with the Mac Keychain.

Thanks.

...Lee
  • juanho
    juanho Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='xilus']MobileMe sync please.[/QUOTE]

I have a concern, about syncing the 1Password.angiekeychain using mobileme.

I just upgrade to SnowLeopard but, is because of some incompatibilities i decided not to upgrade the OS on my Laptop, meaning with that that I am using 1P 3.0 on one computer and 2.11.0 on the other; By this far I've been sync the two using my iPhone and iPod over WiFi, and it just started bothering me.

I read on the forum that 1P 3.0 doesn't use the keychain.app from the OS anymore, still there is a way to add the new keychains on the app over the file menu (⌘⇧A). These is no other way to sync over MobileMe, so i can see on my laptop the 1Password.angiekeychan on the keychain app, but that one came from 1Password 2.11.0.

So If I sync without adding the keychain used by 1P3.0, is this gonna work?, but not sync, so is the angiekeychain the same?, can I merge them both?adding manually to the app of course, or there is a precise reason why 1P stopped adding the angiekeychain by it self to the keychain app on the OS?

I'm looking forward to resolve the problem.

Thanx
  • jxpx777
    edited December 1969
    Hi, juanho, and welcome to the forums.

[quote name='juanho']I read on the forum that 1P 3.0 doesn't use the keychain.app from the OS anymore, still there is a way to add the new keychains on the app over the file menu (⌘⇧A). These is no other way to sync over MobileMe, so i can see on my laptop the 1Password.angiekeychan on the keychain app, but that one came from 1Password 2.11.0.[/quote]

This is correct. 1Password 3.0 requires the Agile Keychain. There are some [URL="http://help.agile.ws/1Password/sync_solutions.html"]other sync options[/URL] and we are working on improved MobileMe sync support.

[quote]So If I sync without adding the keychain used by 1P3.0, is this gonna work?, but not sync, so is the angiekeychain the same?, can I merge them both?adding manually to the app of course, or there is a precise reason why 1P stopped adding the angiekeychain by it self to the keychain app on the OS?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I understand the situation. If you're using Wi-Fi synching for 1Password touch 2.0+ and 1Password 2.11.1 for Mac, then you're already using the Agile Keychain with 1Password 2 as well. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "1P stopped adding the [Agile Keychain] by [itself] to the keychain app on the OS." 1Password has never added its data back to the OS X keychain when using the Agile Keychain.

Right now, we don't have a way to merge two keychains, especially if they have duplicate data or are on separate data formats (OS X Keychain vs. Agile Keychain). The best way to approach this is to use File > Export All > 1Password Interchange on one keychain and then import this file into the other keychain.
  • juanho
    juanho Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    thnx 4 the info.

I know now what i should do!
  • elnjensen
    elnjensen Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    +1 for MobileMe syncing. I can't see upgrading to v3 until this is included. Syncing is working smoothly for me with v2 and OS X keychain, and the new features in v3, while nice, just don't outweigh the hassle of trying to set up a new sync solution. The whole reason for having MobileMe syncing is that it just works...

Didn't the coming availability of WebDAV syncing used to be mentioned more prominently on the website? I don't see it any more. Maybe I'm missing it, but makes me wonder if it's slipping down the priority list.

Thanks for considering this.
  • ducriderx
    ducriderx Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    +1 for mobile me syncing. I know you are working on it, but I would hope this is one of the top feature priorities. Right now I use my iPhone as an intermediary to sync between my computers, but this is a PITA. All the same 1 Password rocks!
  • shaggy
    shaggy Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Add me to the list of people wanting MobileMe syncing.
  • redclaw
    redclaw Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    At first I thought I was missing something. After going through all the preferences trying to figure out how to turn on MobileMe I came across this thread indicating that it was not an available feature as of yet. I will be downgrading to 1P 2.11.1 until this gets put in.
  • wilhulspra
    wilhulspra Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I accept with information: +1 re wanting MobileMe sync. I just downloaded the 3.0 beta, and got that sinking feeling (no pun intended) in my stomach that there's no way to sync 1PW keychain info between my desktop and laptop machines, without using a 3rd-party app. That greatly reduces the value of 1PW for me, pushing me back to doing everything with the Mac Keychain.
  • drakedave
    drakedave Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    +1 for mobilesyncing for me too. It would be a lot easier!
  • joco
    joco Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    This is horrible. Who releases an upgrade version with LESS functionality. The whole point of 1P is so you dont have to enter or remember your passwords, and without syncing it really makes 1P pretty useless.

I really hope this will be implemented in days.... not weeks.
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='joco']…without syncing it really makes 1P pretty useless.[/QUOTE]

You can sync your 1Password data file using any file-based sync solution that understands OS X bundles:

[url]http://help.agile.ws/1Password/sync_solutions.html[/url]
  • lee_sf
    lee_sf Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='justG']You can sync your 1Password data file using any file-based sync solution that understands OS X bundles[/QUOTE]

Sure, if you're willing to add another, completely separate sync solution to all machines running 1PW, with all the attendant setup and maintenance. I don't want to do that.

I'd prefer a solution that either connected through MobileMe Sync, or was completely contained within 1PW. OmniFocus, for example, will sync its database between multiple machines and iPhones, using functionality built into the product. It's not perfect, but it works, and doesn't add additional application requirements.
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='lee_sf']OmniFocus, for example, will sync its database between multiple machines and iPhones, using functionality built into the product.[/QUOTE]

OmniFocus uses WebDAV, which is something that we'll be introducing in the future as well.
  • joco
    joco Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='justG']You can sync your 1Password data file using any file-based sync solution that understands OS X bundles:

[url]http://help.agile.ws/1Password/sync_solutions.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Again this is a step backwards!! This is a complete change in functionality this is why I bought 1P in the first place.

Come on guys... whats the deal here....
  • joco
    joco Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Two weeks and no response from these guys.

What gives.... how does a product lose features with an upgrade. This is absolutely ridiculous... I have still yet to hear back from anyone at Agile about getting a refund. 1Password now sucks without this.
  • jxpx777
    edited December 1969
    I'm sorry for the delay. We have a 30 day money back guarantee that we will certainly honor. Have you written to us at [email]support@agile.ws[/email] about the refund?

Improved MobileMe sync is coming, but I don't have an ETA for when. It will be a 3.x release and we hope to make that x as low a number as possible. For now, you have a couple of options:

[list=1]

[*] Continue to use 1Password 2 with the OS X keychain. Please note that we do not advise this, but if MobileMe sync is a deal breaker for you, then it's the only option right now. Note that if you purchased the 1Password 3 upgrade as part of the early bird special, you can install that license in 1Password 2 and it will be good to go when you do install 1Password 3.

[*] Use a file-based synching solution for the Agile Keychain from the page that Gita linked to. You can think of this as a temporary measure and there are a lot of free options available including our favorite, Dropbox.

[/list]

I realize it's not your ideal situation, but we are indeed working on the new MobileMe sync and now that the 3.0 release, Snow Leopard, and other excitements are dying down a little bit, we are finally clearing the decks to get back to some of the awesome new features that all our users have been asking for and deserve. We appreciate all our users hanging with us through all the excitement.
  • joco
    joco Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='Jamie']I'm sorry for the delay. We have a 30 day money back guarantee that we will certainly honor. Have you written to us at [email]support@agile.ws[/email] about the refund?

[/QUOTE]

Thats the problem... you only offer a 30 day refund. I purchased 1Password 2, which I am way beyond the 30 days. So can I still get a refund since the only reason I purchased 1PW was MobileMe Synching....
  • joco
    joco Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Well its been over month... so where is MobileMe Syncing?????
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='joco']Well its been over month... so where is MobileMe Syncing?????[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your passion joco and I wish I had a better answer for you, but MobileMe Syncing is not ready yet. We are very interested in releasing this feature and in fact had already started development on it. Unfortunately it needed to be put on hold because we needed to make some critical improvements in 1Password 3 to help our CS team stay afloat. Now that we're mostly back on our feet we had planned to continue development on MobileMe but you probably saw the recent keynote from Apple and with the iPad coming in 53 days we have to focus all our resources on iPad development to be ready on time.

The change in direction is not an excuse but I felt you would appreciate full disclosure that the iPad announcement caused a lot of changes in our planning.
  • jim101
    jim101 Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='dteare']Now that we're mostly back on our feet we had planned to continue development on MobileMe but you probably saw the recent keynote from Apple and with the iPad coming in 53 days we have to focus all our resources on iPad development to be ready on time.

[/QUOTE]

Instead of focusing all your resources on iPad development a more balanced approach would, perhaps, do 1Password good -- but clearly you are the one to decide this issue.

Nevertheless, it would be good to see MobileMe Sync, which is important to many faithful 1Password users, in less than 53 days if possible.

Best wishes,

Jim
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='jim101']Instead of focusing all your resources on iPad development a more balanced approach would, perhaps, do 1Password good[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jim! I agree and this is exactly what we're doing. I did a very poor job describing our current projects when I said "focus all our resources"; in reality there are several things going on at the moment. My main point simply was iPad has influenced the development plans of several key upcoming features.
  • evlnte
    evlnte Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Finally took the plunge with Agile Keychain and although I was very, very, very hesitant, it has function quite well and very stable. Just want to put in my 2 cents about MobileMe sync so that you all know there is high demand. Love 1Password so much I stuck with you all consider the shift away from Apple's Keychain. I have 4 personal workstations to sync and just don't want another program (like dropbox to buy, install and maintain). Thanks guys.
  • RobYoder
    RobYoder Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='evlnte'] I have 4 personal workstations to sync and just don't want another program (like dropbox to buy, install and maintain). Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

Actually, surprisingly, Dropbox is free and pretty much maintenance-free! We love using it because it syncs almost instantly.
  • fargilan
    fargilan Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I use Dropbox too, but only because it is the only sync solution for 1Password at the moment. I will drop it once MobileMe sync is finally supported. One less icon in the menu bar, one less place in the 'cloud' where my personal information is being stored, one less process thread running in the background...

Anyway, you get the picture. Not to detract from Dropbox. It's probably a wonderful product. I would just prefer to use MobileMe for all my sync services.
  • joco
    joco Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I cant believe you guys are focusing your attention on the iPad... rather than MobileMe.... Come on... Have you read the initial observations... the iPad is going to be mildly successful at launch... you guys will have plenty of time to get it right... besides what good is having 1Password on the iPad if I have to recreate all my password because you dont have MobileMe syncing????
  • jeffc
    jeffc Member
    edited December 1969
    I actually think it's very important to have 1Password support the iPad. It MIGHT be mildly successful, or it MIGHT be hugely successful. If hugely successful, then a LOT of people will wonder why there isn't a "decent" 1Password application for the iPad. After all, the 1Password application is all about supporting the Apple platform very well. If they don't do that, then what's to differentiate them from competing produts?

Note, by the way, that when the iPhone first came out, a LOT of analysts were saying it would be mildly successful or totally bomb out. History shows what happened.

Besides, you will NOT have to recreate all your passwords without MobileMe syncing. Like with the iPhone, syncing via Wi-Fi works perfectly effectively, and will prevent you from needing to enter a single password on the iPad when it comes out.

Would it be nice to support MobileMe syncing. Sure it would. Is it critial when there are many FREE, QUALITY solutions available today? No. I've been using DropBox ever since Agile recommended it. I'm happy with it. I have MobileMe too, and I'd be happier using MobileMe. But I am completely satisfied with DropBox if/until MobileMe is supported AND stable (i.e. I won't be the first guy on the block to try it).
This discussion has been closed.