This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Suggestion MobileMe Sync

Comments

• pheller
    pheller Junior Member
    edited December 1969
  • bill.rafferty
    bill.rafferty Junior Member
    edited March 2010
    +1 for Mobile-Me with 1Password sync on Mac/iPhone/iPad app for cloud sync'ing across all devices for the win!
  • jsfrederick
    jsfrederick Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='joco']I cant believe you guys are focusing your attention on the iPad... rather than MobileMe.... Come on... Have you read the initial observations... the iPad is going to be mildly successful at launch... you guys will have plenty of time to get it right... besides what good is having 1Password on the iPad if I have to recreate all my password because you dont have MobileMe syncing????[/QUOTE]

As the Agile folks have said numerous times, there is a solution. Use Dropbox. It's free and easy to use. They've heard all the requests here for MM syncing and are workign on it. If we let these guys get back to coding instead of answering the same question, maybe we'll get MM syncing, (Yes, I want it too, but dropbox works fine for me now)
  • lee_sf
    lee_sf Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='jsfrederick']As the Agile folks have said numerous times, there is a solution. Use Dropbox. It's free and easy to use. They've heard all the requests here for MM syncing and are workign on it. If we let these guys get back to coding instead of answering the same question, maybe we'll get MM syncing, (Yes, I want it too, but dropbox works fine for me now)[/QUOTE]As an early poster in this thread, complaining back in October about both the lack of the feature and the overhead of adding yet another support app (Dropbox)... I'll note that Dropbox has turned out to be both an adequate solution for 1P, and useful on its own.

Dropbox installation wasn't transparent — it took an hour or two to get it right on my MacBook, maybe due to lack of admin permissions in the user account it was installed in — and it encouraged even ANOTHER installation, of Growl for notifications. That said, it works and hasn't required additional attention since then.

FWIW...

...Lee
  • thightower
    thightower "T-Dog" Agile's Mascot Community Moderator
    edited December 1969
    Hi Lee

Glad you gave DB a shot for syncing your 1P. Thanks for updating the thread.

Lack of admin permissions do cause problems. As a note on the install you can leave off growl (its one of the last couple of questions asked) but I prefer it myself (and DB recommends it).

Thanks again for checking back in.
  • dteare
    dteare Agile Founder
    edited December 1969
    I just wanted to post an update on MobileMe syncing and our iPad development plans. A few weeks ago I mentioned in this thread that iPad would influence things, and it certainly has. Thankfully it has influenced things in a good way! :)

With iPad, MobileMe syncing is even more important as it enables completely automatic syncing and will save users from needing to manually sync each device individually. For example, with the current setup a user with an iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch would have to sync each one manually. MobileMe and syncing "to the cloud" will make things much simpler.

We're working hard to get MobileMe syncing built into the first release of 1Password for iPad and I think you'll love what you see.
  • jsfrederick
    jsfrederick Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='lee_sf']

Dropbox installation wasn't transparent — it took an hour or two to get it right on my MacBook, maybe due to lack of admin permissions in the user account it was installed in

[/QUOTE]

Really! Wow. I had no problems at all. Just copied my agile keychain to the dropbox folder and reset the pointer in settings to the new file. On the other machine, I just reset the pointer and it worked fine. Neither machine as using an account with admin privlidges. Since dropbox is user specific, both my wife and I have accounts in one of the machines and we both use this setup and we each get our own 1Password data.

I installed the program via tha admin account, but did not run it. I then started it up as the user and it all worked fine.
  • jim101
    jim101 Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='dteare'] We're working hard to get MobileMe syncing built into the first release of 1Password for iPad and I think you'll love what you see.[/QUOTE]

Dear Dave,

This is good news and thanks for the update on your progress. Looking forward to see the results.

Best wishes,

Jim
  • macpug
    macpug Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    jsfrederick: glad your Dropbox experience was smooth, that is what most people report. My own experience was flawless as well. jim101, thanks for your comments.

We really appreciate the support from you guys.

Cheers!
  • pheller
    pheller Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='dteare']

We're working hard to get MobileMe syncing built into the first release of 1Password for iPad and I think you'll love what you see.[/QUOTE]

Approximate timeframe? Not holding you to anything, of course!

And, will desktop / iphone updates accompany the iPad release +/- a few days?
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='pheller']Approximate timeframe? Not holding you to anything, of course!

And, will desktop / iphone updates accompany the iPad release +/- a few days?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, we can't provide timeframes, but MobileMe syncing did not make it into the 1Password iPad release due to the time constraints of being available on "day one".

The 1Password Pro app has been re-submitted to Apple (again!) so it's in the pipeline. We also released 1Password 3.1.0 for the Mac to provide Wi-Fi syncing with 1Password iPad.
  • joco
    joco Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    You have to be kidding me!!! Maybe you guys should focus on FIXING your existing products BEFORE you go ahead and release NEW STUFF. I WANT A REFUND!!!
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    joco, I'm sorry to hear this. I do understand your frustration, but MobileMe/WebDAV sync is a new feature for 1Password and is being treated accordingly. If you want a refund of your Mac purchase, please write to us directly and we'll see what we can do: [email]support@agile.ws[/email]. If you want a refund of your iTunes App Store purchase, this is not something with which we can help you ourselves. You will need to contact the iTunes Support team for help with this:

[url]http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact.html?form=app_store&topic=App%20Store&subtopic=How%20to%20use%20the%20App%20Store[/url]
  • joco
    joco Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Are you kidding me???? MobileMe sync is a NEW feature? You had that feature in the old version, why not this one? Basically you went backwards with featuresets. How about focusing on improving existing products rather than creating new ones.
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    joco, we got MobileMe sync "for free" when we used the OS X keychain format. We didn't have to code it. Now we have to code a new feature that will enable WebDAV sync. We do appreciate that this is important to you and look forward to offering it in a future update.
  • 31Qmh5WH
    31Qmh5WH Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Will the WebDAV sync work the same way as syncing with iPhone/iPad does with respect to allowing only certain folders to sync? I'm investigating using 1Password to roll out within a team and would like to have a shared (and synchronized) team folder. Note that in addition to this shared folder, each user would have their own data which would not be synced with the team but might be kept in sync on other machines they operate.
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, 31Wmh5WH. I'm sorry but we don't have any information to share on the forthcoming WebDAV sync feature at this time. When we're ready, we'll be sure to post more information on [url=http://blog.agile.ws]our blog[/url]. Thank you for asking!
  • elitebox
    elitebox Junior Member
    edited April 2010
    +1 for this feature request! OmniFocus for iPhone uses WebDav/MobileMe sync. Would be great if 1PW implemented this also.

One thing I'm concerned about is whether we can use both DropBox and WebDav for syncing? Or will the performance of WebDav be good enough to completely discontinue using DropBox for 1PW syncing between Macs?
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    We don't have the answer to performance questions, elitebox, but you'll certainly be able to use whichever sync method you'd like. Welcome to the forums, by the way!
  • hmurchison
    hmurchison Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='joco']I cant believe you guys are focusing your attention on the iPad... rather than MobileMe.... Come on... Have you read the initial observations... the iPad is going to be mildly successful at launch... you guys will have plenty of time to get it right... besides what good is having 1Password on the iPad if I have to recreate all my password because you dont have MobileMe syncing????[/QUOTE]

LOL. Bad enough that we have read your puerile rantings but clearly you have no skill in prognostication.

Mobileme sync is greatly desired by me but with sync stuff it has to work out the box. I know Agile will deliver a working solution but harassing them isn't going to deliver a better product.
  • macpug
    edited December 1969
    Hi, hmurchison, and welcome to the Forums. Thanks for coming to our defense! ;) Ya, the iPad has been a bit successful, hasn't it?

We just try to remember that passionate users create passionate posts, and we are diligently working on MobileMe syncing. You're quite right, it does need to work out of the box. That's why we would rather deliver it a bit later, but working correctly, than a bit early and have problems with it (can you only imagine the flogging we'd receive then?!?). Thanks for your support!
  • KraetzichriZ
    KraetzichriZ Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi,

I really like 1Password and use it on my iPhone and iPad so often...

It's completely non-understanding for me why it isn't possible to deliver this feature.

This Feature Request is over one year old.

I don't want start the App on my Mac and on my iPad to sync them. This sounds like I'm in the 90's.

So, please try to deliver this feature as fast as you can. It's really important for 1Password, I think.

Cheers,

Chris
  • macpug
    edited December 1969
    Hi KraetzichriZ, and welcome to the Forums! I'm glad you really like 1P and are getting a lot of great use out of it. Believe me, this is a top priority at the moment. I think it's been mentioned before, but the thread is getting a bit lengthy, that we want to make sure this is dang near perfect out of the gate. We don't want it to be "ok", or "pretty good". We want it to be "great", to deliver an awesome user experience for you guys. That's why it's not ready just yet. We're taking it from "ok" to "fantastic".

Thanks again for the feedback, we do appreciate it and we're really glad that this is so important to you guys.
  • elitebox
    elitebox Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Has anyone tried using WAN Bonjour to sync 1PW to the iPad or iPhone? In theory, it seems like it should work.
  • stefanpr
    stefanpr Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Well I am incredibly disappointed this still hasn't been done. Three months ago you emailed me to let me know webdav synching was 'not quite ready but in the works' so I would have expected to see some progress by now. And now there is a beta for windows??? WTF???

I've got about 200 passwords - and the size of the keyring is 10 friggin' megabytes!!! No wonder you can't get it to work with the apple keychain. At this rate I'll soon need a data center to use this product!!!

All I need is a small, efficient utility to keep track of my passwords and fill forms. That synchronises between multiple computers. I don't need tons of eye-candy, interfaces that look like a safe or previews of websites stored in my keyring. I really feel you guys are heading off in completely the wrong direction!!!
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, stefanpr, and thanks for your input. My data file is also 10MB, and I have about 2000 entries. If you have login previews enabled, those thumbnails will consume space. I have these disabled, and I don't have any file attachments.
  • xpnomore
    xpnomore Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I have a desktop and laptop running Tiger and 1Password2 synced using iDisk, works 100% with no problems. Just bought a new laptop and downloaded 1Password3 and it does not support iDisk sync so I was forced to manually import my passwords., did not see that coming. I am now dead in the water, waiting for MobileME Sync, before I replace my other machines.
  • MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='xpnomore']I have a desktop and laptop running Tiger and 1Password2 synced using iDisk, works 100% with no problems. Just bought a new laptop and downloaded 1Password3 and it does not support iDisk sync so I was forced to manually import my passwords., did not see that coming. I am now dead in the water, waiting for MobileME Sync, before I replace my other machines.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but 1Password 2 can't share its "keychain" data with 1Password 3 via any means other than the File -> Export All -> 1Password Interchange File option, and that's not a sync or share as much as it's making a copy that can be then imported into 1Password 3. Perhaps that's what you've already used... I can't tell from your description.
  • rvietri
    rvietri Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Definitely +1 for this feature. Nothing worse than forgetting to do a sync before going somewhere and then needing a recently changed item. The obvious time saving as well as the lack of need for more 3rd party software are other benefits.
  • Nik
    Nik
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, rvietri. Thanks for posting your thoughts.
This discussion has been closed.