This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Can't delete logins (they come back)

2»

Comments

• pajero
    pajero Junior Member
    Hi Guys

I closed both Safari and Firefox

Then I did a "Clear Cache"

Closed 1P

Reopened 1P and did "Reset Folder Permissions"

Closed 1P

Reopened 1P and did "Rebuild Data File"

Closed 1P

Reopened 1P...deleted all my empty folders and 92 items in trash.

Wonderful.....no items resurfaced.

I then opened Safari and the folders and trash reappeared!

Over to the experts!
  • mixture
    mixture Junior Member
    I found a fix. I found a fix.

It all happens if my 1Password.app isn't open!

I fixed the problem by:

Opened 1Password.app. (I usually have this always closed and not in the background)

Opened Firefox.app

Opened Safari.app

-> The Duplicate Login Items appeared in all extensions and 1Password.app, but now that I deleted them from 1Password.app [b]while both browsers were open[/b], the duplicate entries no longer appear even when I close 1Password.app and have both browsers open etc.

But good to know you are working on this.
  • pajero
    pajero Junior Member
    can you explain this step in greater detail, because I triued this and it didn't work!

-> The Duplicate Login Items appeared in all extensions and 1Password.app, but now that I deleted them from 1Password.app [b]while both browsers were open[/b], the duplicate entries no longer appear even when I close 1Password.app and have both browsers open etc>>>
  • mixture
    mixture Junior Member
    [quote name='pajero' timestamp='1314289251' post='42418']

can you explain this step in greater detail, because I triued this and it didn't work!

-> The Duplicate Login Items appeared in all extensions and 1Password.app, but now that I deleted them from 1Password.app [b]while both browsers were open[/b], the duplicate entries no longer appear even when I close 1Password.app and have both browsers open etc>>>

[/quote]

Let me first make clear that not all of the logins were duplicated. Only those that I had created after upgrading to 1Password 3.8 and installing the new Firefox 6 and Safari 5.1 extensions.

These are the steps how I finally got rid of the duplicate login items issues I had:

[list]

[*]Quit all the browsers. So in activity monitor there are no Safari or Firefox running.

[*]Open 1Password.app, keep it open

[*]Open Firefox.app, keep it open

[*]Open Safari.app, keep it open

[*]Now go to 1Password.app, if you had deleted the duplicate items before, they will now re-appear also on 1Password.app

[*]Don't worry, now while the browsers are open in background, delete the duplicate login items directly from 1Password.app

[*]Now you can quit 1Password.app, if you want

[/list]

after that my duplicate logins did not appear again, nor did the deleted items in the 1P Trash. Not even after restarting browsers or rebooting computer.

However, if I now would create new logins directly from Firefox's or Safari's extension button [b]when 1Password.app is not running[/b], I'm sure the duplicate problem would arise again. But I would get rid of it by opening up 1Password.app, while the browsers are open, and deleting the unnecessary duplicates from 1Password.app.

YMMV.
  • rezzo
    rezzo Junior Member
    Sadly, today I have again this bug.

The only 'solution' is uninstall Chrome's 1PW extension -> open 1PW.app -> [i]re-[/i]delete the old logins -> [i]re-[/i]empty the trash -> [i]re-[/i]install the extension.

Browser: Chrome 14.0.835.109 beta (primary browser), I don't use Firefox, Safari secondary browser.

Chrome extension: [b]1Password Beta[/b] - Version: 3.8.2.31030

1PW.app: 3.8.2
  • tmr250z
    tmr250z Junior Member
    edited August 2011
    I was having this problem too.

This is what did to fix it, hope it helps.

1. First close all browsers on all computers, devices etc., that use 1Password.

2. Open 1Password.app, go to Preferences.

3. Under to Advance tab, click the "Clear Cache" button then click OK.

4. Uncheck "Use caching to load data faster"

5. Click the "Rebuild Data File" then click Continue.

6. Close 1Password.app.

7. Reopen open Firefox, Safari, Chrome.

8. Reopen 1Password.app.

9. If the deleted entries are still there or have reappeared, delete them again.

After I did this, those old entries never showed up again.

I have 1Password on one Mac, running Snow Leopard. I use Firefox, Safari, and Chrome.
  • I'm running into this with 1Password 3.8.2 (Build 31121), Safari 5.1 (7534.48.3) running with the 1Password 3.7 extension on Lion 10.7.1.

Pretty much the same story as everyone else: disable Safari extension, empty trash, contents reappear as soon as I reenable the Safari extension. For me, this isn't a huge deal, but merely a slightly baffling affair. Since you're obviously aware of it and are working on this issue, just wanted to give you another data point.
  • Have you tried actually uninstalling the extension rather than just disabling it? This will delete the database within the extension and so there's no way the old data can come back.
  • cdenesha
    cdenesha Junior Member
    edited September 2011
    This is still a problem with 3.8.5 and 10.6.8.. I just spent over an hour trying to delete a bunch of items I don't need because I've switched employment. They keep coming back.

I did not have FF nor Safari open, just Chrome and its extension (beta 3.8.3). I was tired of figuring out which ones to delete again, so I had opened up the package file and labeled everything in red once I had it where I wanted it. I launched 1P.. and a bunch came back - 62 items. Since I was reading forum threads that it might be the extensions, I launched FF and Safari, 26 more came back.

I've now removed all extensions, manually deleted the non-red items, cleared cache, and rebuilt. Everything seems stable so far.. we'll see. But unless 1P itself checks in with other extensions, how did those 62 come back?

There may also be an issue with the 1PasswordAgent in memory, I created a thread on it earlier this evening in the beta sub-forum, the Chrome extension can't see DB changes from the main application unless 1PasswordAgent is restarted.

I know this is just a bunch of data thrown at this thread but I'm a little tired.. and not sure if I've covered all of the variables.

chris

[edit]

I didn't see page 2 of this thread when I posted this. But please note that 1PasswordAgent may be an issue as well.
  • Hi

I'd been running for a while now without any extensions. This problem didn't surface at all.

However today I reinstalled the Firefox extension... And pronto, I was sent back a couple of days in the past. All the deleted stuff came back. I have uninstalled & restored my database. But now the big question, IS IT SAFE TO USE Browser Extensions? Do they actually work without corrupting my 1P DB?

My config:

Firefox 6.0.2

1P 3.9.0

OSX 10.7.1

-ikazi
  • brenty
    edited September 2011
    Just to clarify, the 1PasswordAgent runs in the background at all times and is what facilitates the sync'ing of your data between the main 1Password application and the extensions, since the major browsers are now all using sandboxing.

I have personally never run into this problem, but know that several customers and coworkers have. The best thing to do is uninstall the extensions (which also removes the extension's database, [b][i]except[/i] in the case of Firefox[/b]) and then reinstall them, so that the correct data is present in all cases, and then only changes are sync'd.

In your case, ikazi, it sounds like you removed the 1Password extension from Firefox, but since the database was not removed there was 'stale' data in there when you reinstalled it. Unfortunately, we just do not have access to remove this ourselves, and Firefox does not remove this along with the extension. Please do the following to resolve this:[list=1]

[*]Remove the 1Password Firefox extension

[*]Quit Firefox

[*]Open the Firefox profiles directory (~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/)

[*]Delete 'OnePassword.sqlite'

[*]Find your profile directory and delete 'jetpack/onepassword@agilebits.com' (not the whole jetpack directory, just onepassword@agilebits.com)

[*]Open Firefox and install the 1Password extension

[/list]

I hope this helps. If this is a continuing problem for anyone, there may be a permissions issue that is causing communications issues, and we will need more information to find out what is happening.
  • Misterdim
    edited September 2011
    Hello,

same issue for me.

Please see 10 below !

Chrome : 14.0.835.186

Extension : 1Password Beta - Version : 3.8.6.31081

1password : Version 3.8.6 (build 31152)

User case :

1- uninstall extension

2- restart chrome

3- start 1password app (datafile on a dropbox)

4- install chrome extension beta (via 1password menu that redirect on the ladybug extension page)

5- here, 1password app/chrome are sync ok

6- close chrome (not background, really quit)

7- delete, say, hundredS a pwds in the app (purge trash)

8- wait for dropbox sync (just to be clean, but don't think it is a matter)

9- launch app/chrome... deleted password restored on 1password.app. Can't remember if it is when I launch chrome or when I quit... so replay scenario... AND...

10- Ah ah !!! Wanted to replay this scenario, deleted ONLY ONE password and it didn't issue !!!!

Could it be extension ? Perhaps, deleting "huge" number of password can't be processed by the extension (or take too much time and when I close, as the change is not fully processed, the "chrome" db isn't "up to date" and it updates the app db with the not "up to date" chrome db ?)... ?

Hope, it will help you !!!

Misterdim
  • khad
    khad Social Choreographer
    The issue is definitely related to the extensions. If you follow Brent's post above, you should be all set. Firefox needs some extra TLC, but things should work if you only uninstall and reinstall the extensions in Safari and Chrome.