This is a staging forum for AgileBits, not an official support forum. Visit http://discussions.agilebits.com instead.

Firefox 3.6 crashes on Startup when 1Password extension is activated

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS AgileBits Customer Care (retired)
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='toxine']I've the same problem here.

I've installed FF3.6.2 and it crashes with 1Password plugin

The Firefox PDF Plugin 1.1.3 plugin crashes

Stumble plugin works[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forums, toxine and ajmaggs!

Do I understand correctly that both of you have the exact same Firefox failure even *without* 1Password if you have some of these other Firefox extensions added? If that's true then would seem to be "bigger" than 1Password. That doesn't take the heat off of us if we're doing something non-conforming, but it's important to determine none the less.

Please let me know.
  • ajmaggs
    ajmaggs Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MartyS']

Do I understand correctly that both of you have the exact same Firefox failure even *without* 1Password if you have some of these other Firefox extensions added? If that's true then would seem to be "bigger" than 1Password. That doesn't take the heat off of us if we're doing something non-conforming, but it's important to determine none the less.

Please let me know.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's correct (for me at least). If any one of the 4 extensions I listed (1Pwd, PDF Plugin, Xmarks or Stylish) is activated, I get the same crash on startup. As long as all 4 are disabled (in the Add On settings) Firefox will open OK.

I do have other extensions loaded, which don't cause the problem (Adblock Plus 1.1.3, British English Dictionary 1.19, Fisson 1.0.9, Flashblock 1.5.13, Tab Mix Plus 0.3.8.3pre.100319, OptimizeGoogle 0.77, The Camelizer 1.2 and Unsorted Bookmarks Folder Menu 2.0).

I've also tried creating a new profile, which works fine with no extensions, but as soon as I add in one of the 4 extensions, I get the crashes on startup.
  • kitebuggy
    kitebuggy Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MartyS']Thanks for the clarification!

We're kicking around an idea that might be a red herring, but for those of you having this problem we'd like it if you could check on a system setting for us. I've attached a screenshot of what we're looking for from Apple's Disk Utility application.[/QUOTE]

Hi Marty,

Doesn't seem as if this is the cause - mine reads: "Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"

Sorry. In my case two MBP (one work laptop - which doesn't work, the irony!, and one home laptop which works). It looks like a complete OS rebuild is on the cards, which I'm not looking forward to.

Thanks,

Jason
  • toxine
    toxine Junior Member
    edited March 2010
    [quote name='MartyS']Welcome to the forums, toxine and ajmaggs!

Please let me know.[/QUOTE]

Well, I have the problem on my MacBook pro with 1Password and PDF plugin 1.1.3. I've also installed stumbleupon plugin 3.6.3 and it works fine. If I try to activate 1Password OR PDF plugin, firefox crashes.

I think is a firefox problem (before the upgrade to 3.6.2 everything has worked fine).

Now I'm going to uninstall PDF plugin to see if something changes.

BTW - When you plan to integrate the plugin in Chrome?

I'll let you know after disinstalling PDF plugin.

Update - I've uninstalled PDF Plugin and tried to activate 1passwrd but firefox crashes... :-(
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    This is sounding more like a Firefox incompatibility of some kind with extensions in a broad sense, not limited to 1Password. We're listening for anything we can glean so if you hear that one of these other plugins that is currently failing has an update to make them compatible with the newer Firefox please post that news here. This started with Firefox 3.6 and for some was fixed in 3.6.2, for others apparently not.

It was a stretch but we were hoping that the partition formatting might have something to do with why only certain installations are impacted. I guess based on Jason's response it might be some other "environmental" condition. Oh well, we'll keep thinking!
  • howard687
    howard687 Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    Has anyone tried booting from their install CD to see if that makes the problem go away? I haven't tried that yet.
  • accomazzi
    accomazzi Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi. I have a very reproducible case here. Yesterday I updated to Firefox 3.6.2. Firefox closes immediately as soon as I try to open it (a bounce in the Dock is everything I get). It did work in safe mode, though, that is without extensions. I tried various "soft" solutions to no avail. Then I completely trashed the Library/Application Support/Firefox folder and redownloaded a fresh copy of Firefox. Of course everything is fine then. As soon as I reinstall the 1Password extension (in the Borwsers tab of the Preferences screen in 1Password), I get the same immediate death. I tried three times. It quits even if I launch the copy from the locked DMG.

I'm running the latest Snow Leopard and 1Password (not the beta). I'm available for more tests and, of course, sending logs.
  • Franzi72
    Franzi72 Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='accomazzi']Hi. I have a very reproducible case here. Yesterday I updated to Firefox 3.6.2. Firefox closes immediately as soon as I try to open it (a bounce in the Dock is everything I get). It did work in safe mode, though, that is without extensions. I tried various "soft" solutions to no avail. Then I completely trashed the Library/Application Support/Firefox folder and redownloaded a fresh copy of Firefox. Of course everything is fine then. As soon as I reinstall the 1Password extension (in the Borwsers tab of the Preferences screen in 1Password), I get the same immediate death. I tried three times. It quits even if I launch the copy from the locked DMG.

I'm running the latest Snow Leopard and 1Password (not the beta). I'm available for more tests and, of course, sending logs.[/QUOTE]

Hi

exactly the same issue I've experienced.
  • macpug
    macpug Agile Customer Care
    edited December 1969
    Accomazzi, thanks for the info. Franzi72, welcome to the forums and thanks for the confirmation of Accomazzi's issue (and others). As Marty said, this looks to be like a larger issue with Firefox 3.6.2 and other extensions, particularly since it happens when others besides ours are involved and 1P isn't even in the picture. Particularly in the instances where you can't even really boot up, I would revert back to the last stable build that you used, 3.6 for most folks, it seems. We'll follow this closely as well and see what adjustments are made. Please keep us posted.
  • Franzi72
    Franzi72 Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks Cindy, for the time being getting back to 3.6 solved the problem.
  • howard687
    howard687 Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    Just to be clear, reverting back to 3.6 may solve this issue for some, but I experienced the problem on 3.6 and, reading that at least one person resolved the problem by moving to 3.6.2, tried that to no avail.
  • makevoid
    makevoid Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hello, I have the same problem :twisted:

- Mac OS X 10.6

- Firefox 3.6 (latest)

- 1password 3.0.9 (build 30535)

- 1password extension (the only one enabled)

I'll try to find the ff crash log and post it soon
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='howard687']Just to be clear, reverting back to 3.6 may solve this issue for some, but I experienced the problem on 3.6 and, reading that at least one person resolved the problem by moving to 3.6.2, tried that to no avail.[/QUOTE]

That is correct... there is a component of this problem that seems to impact different Firefox installations differently so what works for one may not work for the other. Based on the reportedly serious security problem in Firefox 3.6 anyone that has to run it versus 3.6.2 just to get around this issue should do so only if necessary.

Something that we haven't offered and I haven't heard anyone so they've used as a test: on a system where Firefox won't start with 1Password has anyone tried the same combination of software from a different user account?
  • ajmaggs
    ajmaggs Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MartyS']

Something that we haven't offered and I haven't heard anyone so they've used as a test: on a system where Firefox won't start with 1Password has anyone tried the same combination of software from a different user account?[/QUOTE]

Just tried it. Created a new (non-admin) account, ran Firefox with no extensions, and it loaded OK. Ran 1Pwd, installed the plugin, re-ran FF, and..... crash on startup.
  • tokyojerry
    tokyojerry Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I've been discussing this issue with one of the support members at Mozilla. I have had the experience on several occasions now where the Firefox icon will bounce on the dock several times and just die. To make a long story short, the source of the problem (at least for me and OS-X (v10.6.2) seems to be either with: (1) SpiceRack in Preference Pane and (2) the 1Password AddOn for Firefox, and it's possible interaction with Spicerack in Preference Pane. Here is the simple solution:

[B]1. Uninstall Spicerack from PrefPane

2. Launch Firefox in 'safe mode' (option+click > Firefox icon)

3. Disable 1Password Addon

4. Close and ReLaunch.

5. Done! You should be in good shape.[/B]

If you want to follow / read the full thread on this issue please check out the conversation thread of Firefox not loading and bouncing away on the dock.

[B][URL="http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/590191?forumId=1&comments_threshold=0&comments_parentId=590191&comments_offset=0&comments_per_page=20&thread_style=commentStyle_plain"]http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/590191?forumId=1&comments_threshold=0&comments_parentId=590191&comments_offset=0&comments_per_page=20&thread_style=commentStyle_plain[/URL][/B]

If this issue has already been addressed here in this thread, my apology as I have not read through all the pages and comments of this thread exhaustively I just had a resolution to this problem this morning and thought I would share with whoever else might be experiencing the similar problem.

Cheers,
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    Thank you for your contact within the Mozilla support system. I would like to point out two things to our 1Password readers:

1) Your resolution here only gets Firefox to launch again... it's not a resolution of having 1Password reliably included in Firefox.

2) The discussion so far in the linked mozilla support thread makes references that might make it sound like 1Password and TastyApps/Spicerack are somehow related or use one another. That is not true -- AFAIK they are completely separate (we don't use them in the 1Password application... I can't see why they would use us).

We continue to monitor the situation and gather as much information as we can so we can do something about it.
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    There are some "interesting" things that have gotten some Firefox customers up and running with other extensions but otherwise the same symptoms being reported here. Please check out [URL="http://support.mozilla.com/en/forum/1/562036?forumId=1&comments_threshold=0&comments_parentId=562036&comments_offset=20&comments_per_page=20&thread_style=commentStyle_plain"]this closed thread[/URL], perhaps staring on the 2nd page but while you're there review the whole thing in case some random item means more to you than it meant to me.
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    And another late breaking workaround *idea* for our 1Password users having this issue with Firefox...

Quit Firefox. Run 1Password and choose the 1Password -> Preferences menu option and click on the Browsers pane. Un-check the "Show in authentication panels" option. Close the Preferences window. Now test to see if you can get the 1Password Firefox integration to be enabled and have Firefox start.

Because there are reports of so many other extensions that can cause this Firefox issue, for this test to be "valid", 1Password would need to have been unusable as the only extension before, and after changing this setting still be the only extension.

Please let us know what you find out!
  • howard687
    howard687 Senior Member
    edited December 1969
    I checked my 1P Preferences --> Browsers and discovered that the "Show in authentication panels" was already unchecked. So that does not solve the problem for my situation.
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='howard687']I checked my 1P Preferences --> Browsers and discovered that the "Show in authentication panels" was already unchecked. So that does not solve the problem for my situation.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry it can't make a difference for you. Thank you for looking!
  • vknwgsm
    vknwgsm Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    All work perfect, if don`t use system option "use secure virtual memory".

This options in System preferences\Security\General.
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='vknwgsm']All work perfect, if don`t use system option "use secure virtual memory".

This options in System preferences\Security\General.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forums, vknwgsm.

Where did this suggestion come from? It would be very interesting if Firefox was impacted by something as deep in OS X as this system feature.
  • mikaellu
    mikaellu Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I have the same issue as the previous poster. Using Firefox 3.6.x (I tested with 3.6 earlier and now with 3.6.2) and 1Password 3.0.9 does not work.

System information: MacBookPro/Intel, OS X 10.6.2, Firefox 3.6.2, 1Password 3.0.9

* I have completely uninstalled Firefox (the Application, Preferences, Application Support, Caches) and then installed Firefox 3.6.2

* started Firefox

* quit Firefox (no configurations whatsoever done in Firefox, the start pages displayed after that I quit)

* start 1Password

* configure 1Password to install plugin

* start Firefox

* crash (ie I never even see a window!)

* note that 1Password is the ONLY plugin!

On my home system (MacBook/Intel, OS X 10.6.2, 1Password 3.0.9, Firefox 3.6) it simply works, no problems.

I also tried the rebuilding trick mentioned earlier in this thread... but to no avail.

If I start Firefox with the -safe-mode flag and reset user settings as well as disable plugins I can use Firefox again.

This is getting very frustrating as 1Password has become an essential application for me (as is Firefox...).
  • mikaellu
    mikaellu Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I also tried to not use secure virtual memory. Firefox actually started a couple of times after installing 1Password but the extension was disabled, I tried to enable it but that didn't work. After a couple of restarts I was back to the bouncing dock icon again.

the only thing in the log is

2010-03-30 20:12:08 com.apple.launchd.peruser.2020971263[415] ([0x0-0x31031].org.mozilla.firefox[559]) Exited with exit code: 1
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    We feel everyone's pain on this issue but there isn't anything known to date that we can "do" to improve the interfacing. :( Given what I've seen in the Mozilla forums and bugzilla this is (not 1Password, but the exact same behavior) a problem that was logged in December during Firefox 3.6 beta testing and impacts many Firefox extensions. Unless they care to share with extension integrators such as ourselves some coding workaround it may be that we'll have to wait for a fix to come from Mozilla. If this problem happens to any of the Agile team member computers, and so far it hasn't, we'll look hard at what's causing the apparent conflict.
  • mikaellu
    mikaellu Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Oh well. I guess it's good bye Firefox, hello Safari (for now anyway).
  • Zimbo
    Zimbo Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    I upgraded my MAC (also a Macbook Pro) to OSX 10.6.3 and Firefox and 1Password started to work again!
  • vknwgsm
    vknwgsm Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='MartyS']Welcome to the forums, vknwgsm.

Where did this suggestion come from? It would be very interesting if Firefox was impacted by something as deep in OS X as this system feature.[/QUOTE]

I use two mac( work and home) and one all worked, the other not.

He began to look for the difference.

And found this option.
  • MartyS
    edited December 1969
    [quote name='vknwgsm']I use two mac( work and home) and one all worked, the other not.

He began to look for the difference.

And found this option.[/QUOTE]

As I said before, it would be strange if this was the (only) difference but anything is possible.
  • Franzi72
    Franzi72 Junior Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi everyone

after installing Firefox 3.6.3 1st password started working again.